SaltCritters.com

PH testing

gunsablarrin

Out of all the posts I've read here, no one has mentioned anything about PH in these nano tanks.

Is this a concern when running a nano tank just like it is with the larger tanks?

pH is a concern with SW tanks. It's influenced by dissolved oxygen, alkalinity, calcium and other factors. Ideal pH is around 8.2-8.4, but a little lower is usually fine for most tanks.

the more exp nanoreefers know about pH. pH takes a little longer to stabilize in a smaller tank, so advice is to usually leave it alone until it becomes a problem with the livestock.

I've been wondering this too. Are the electronic "stick" type readers accurate or would you suggest keeping the pH liquid chemical tests? If the electronic pH readers are accurate it would justify the intial price (which is really not much higher than the test kits).

in all the science labs i've been in we've used electronic pH meters. currently i have a pen type pH meter by milwaukee electronics from diyreef.com. seems to do the job, but also seems to need frequent calibration. if you know what you're doing it shouldn't be a problem.

I was thinking about getting the ph meter from marine depot but I really don't want to spend the $90.

But I think I better.

Thanks for the info everyone.

I read on RC that those type of ph meters can be pretty inaccurate. It seems that most recomment the pinpoint meter. It is one of those things that I should only have to buy once so I might as well get a good one. If its not really accurate then whats the point.

• 3 months later...

I wouldn't say "don't pay attention to the pH", but I would say pay attention to other factors that influence the pH. Personally, I monitor the alkalinity more closely, because if that number is going down then I can *slowly* add buffers to the tank in order to avoid a pH crash. Unless something dies, I assume my ammonia and nitrite levels are zero (but still check them anyway about once every week or two). I do weekly or 10-day water changes, so I don't worry much about nitrates either. The things I constantly monitor are the temp and count my animals every day.

Archived