Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tunze Doc 9001 setup

RickvD

Hello,

i’ve just setup my first reef tank but I can’t get the skimmer right (i think).

I’m getting a lot of small wet bubbles.

What is the “best placement”?

95BAC5FF-1A59-4626-8AC4-C6D53E808220.thumb.jpeg.025eede84b1f4891a3f455a7fb31bdcb.jpeg95BAC5FF-1A59-4626-8AC4-C6D53E808220.thumb.jpeg.025eede84b1f4891a3f455a7fb31bdcb.jpeg

80B35E65-26E2-48A6-8DCB-F438160E5CC0.jpeg

If the tank is brand new or even less than a few months old, the skimmer just won't have much of anything to pull out,

I would start testing your nutrients (nitrate & phosphate) on a semi regular basis, unless you're struggling to keep them down, most nanos don't need a skimmer.

14 minutes ago, Jaren45 said:

If the tank is brand new or even less than a few months old, the skimmer just won't have much of anything to pull out,

I would start testing your nutrients (nitrate & phosphate) on a semi regular basis, unless you're struggling to keep them down, most nanos don't need a skimmer.

Alright thanks. The main reason I chose for a skimmer is that I’d rather be safe then sorry. 2 people told me the skimmer can be turned on the moment the tank is cycling (today). I smelled it after work (there was a cloudy substance in the chamber) and it smelled like hell. I’ve turned it off for now. Planning on keeping it off untill I got live stock for +-2 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

The ideal water level of the Tunze 9001 is 1/2" below the water level line on the body of the skimmer.  The line is the maximum water level.  Set the skimmer so that that line is above the level of your chamber when everything is running.

Skimmers need time to break in and slime up.

• Like 1