Top Shelf Aquatics

Intersting Psuedochromis Behavior

Danno

I have had a psuedochromis diadames for about a month now, and last Friday i picked up a cute little pistol shrimp. After I acclimated the shrimp and put him in the tank, the psuedo seemed to not like the pistol shrimp to much, pecked at him a few times but then left him alone.

Last night before going to bed, I noticed my clowns were hanging around the Pistol shrimps burrows annoying him. Heard a bunch of snaps so I went over to check it out. I then saw my Psuedo dart out of hiding, go into the pistol shrimps burrows and come out where the clowns were hanging out, and proceded to chase the clowns away from the Pistol shrimp. After that the psuedo just went back down into the shrimps burrows. Now I have seen the psuedo do this a few times tonight. Also noticed that the pistol lets the psuedo into his burrows. But gets really pissed if the clowns or hermits come any where near. Thats when the psuedo comes to his rescue. I also noticed that after feeding the shrimp a bit of shrimp, he seemed to throw it out of his burrow for the psuedo.

Is it possible that a Psuedochromis actually paired up with a pistol shrimp?

Archived