Top Shelf Aquatics

Does bio media have a self life?

debbeach13

Bio-media is basically just additional surface area.  So bio-balls, which are plastic, won't break down.  Floss-like fibers are usually made of polymers which hold up well and probably need to be replaced more due to getting dirty than breaking down.  Aragonite rock can dissolve over time (especially when pH is lower) and will lose a small amount of mass; but this typically has a limited effect on its usefulness.  However, the porous nature of the media can also become clogged, reducing the available surface area a bit.

That all said, our tanks have lots of surfaces and are usually not lacking in nitrifying bacteria.  The old recommendations about the amount of live rock required (like 1lb per gallon) were a lot higher than what is actually required for a typically stocked marine aquarium.  I usually only recommend bio-media when live rock isn't used in the display.  I hope that helps a little. :unsure:

• Like 2

It shouldn't have a lifespan if you're talking about ceramic rings or the hard compressed ceramic balls they are just inert material. It's not like the aragonite in a calcium reactor that will dissolve because of a chemical reaction. One thing I did notice is that the Brightwell export bio cubes are very crumbly they don't seem to be compressed well and in high water flow or with agitation they have a tendency to break apart. Outside of maintaining them and getting the detritus off of them or cleaning them once in awhile they should be forever material as long as they don't break or crumble.

• Like 1
debbeach13

Thanks for the quick reply. I was given what I believe is a block of marine pure bio block from a LFS sump. It is in the middle chamber of an AIO. That was back in Oct of last year.

Sounds like I can leave it. Thanks again.

• Like 1