Coral Vue Hydros

How should I perform routine maintenance/checku?

Ethn

I have a Fluval 13.5; in the backing I have a 195 gallon pump, filter floss, heater, and chemi pure elite. I have two lights, coralife 18” strip light and Fluval sea nano (that I do not use). I am not necessarily a beginner, (although I’ve only been into reefing about a year) I would like to improve in the hobby. I dose aqua vitro fuel and only top off water when the tank is lower than 90%. I spot feed mysis and oyster eggs every 2-3 days, the tank gets about 1-2 hours of direct sunlight. image.thumb.jpg.2d7f411537ecd525dde4bb6df7246576.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.4521b63136c822c3e1fccdd2516716f7.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.3347117ddd51cd2e5fb0ae7f3531a37f.jpg
with pictures and setup aside, I’d like to ask a few questions. 
1. How can I improve coloring and polyp health? (size, tentacle length, some corals will close more often than others)
2. How can I improve my chamber/sump?
3. Should I be doing more tank maintenance and water changes?

4. I’ve had difficulty keeping low light corals and chalices seem to die off quicker than grow.

any advice and or recommendations will be much appreciated as always. Thank you

• Like 1
On 4/25/2023 at 9:31 PM, Ethn said:

1. How can I improve coloring and polyp health? (size, tentacle length, some corals will close more often than others)

"Colors that pop" and "polyp extension" are both equal parts coral health and marketing BS.  

Don't judge YOUR corals' colors by the colors you see in pictures online.  Just don't.  Post a pic and get opinions....and don't worry that your photos don't look like your corals look in person.....same for everyone who doesn't doctor their photos.  Photos that look "really good" have been doctored one way or another.

As for polyp extension, there is no "more is better" about it.  With only a few notable exceptions, corals we see I the hobby basically only retract polys due to acute stress.  Something like being poked with a finger, or something toxic in the water.  Notable exceptions include momentary retractions for any reason (common), and leather corals retracting polyps during regular cleaning.  We don't really see corals that keep polyps retracted during the day...again with some notable exceptions (some NPS, etc).

So, if you have concerns with any specific corals, post some details and maybe post a pic!  🙂  (Sometimes, usually for color accuracy, it's best to take the picture while using the camera flash OR with the tank's daylights on and blue lights off.)

2. How can I improve my chamber/sump?

As long as water is flowing, you don't need much more than that.  Don't over-do the filtration...probably the chemi pure and filter floss are unneeded.  A skimmer is about the only "extra" you'd want to consider.

3. Should I be doing more tank maintenance and water changes?

Not if things in the tank are going well!  🙂 

4. I’ve had difficulty keeping low light corals and chalices seem to die off quicker than grow.

What is your lighting?

How are your water tests?  Alk, Ca, Mg, NO3 and PO4 would all be interesting....especially NO3 and PO4.

How is the in-tank flow?  If the only flow is from the filter, then you should consider adding a small powerhead.  

Corals generally all need strong flow to do (and look) their best.

TheKleinReef
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

Photos that look "really good" have been doctored one way or another.

Lol 

salty cause your pics aren’t good?

OP. 

my advice is to pick one thing at a time and then make one change at a time so you can see how your changes are impacting your aquarium. Whether it be lighting, foods, water changes, flow, etc just meddle with one and see how your system changes. tweak it until you're happy with not just how it looks but how it lines up with your maintenance routine. 

• Agree 2
banasophia

Your tank looks pretty great already, but the cords and wall behind it are a bit distracting. Some people add a black background and that can really look nice… you can get material that’s a removable cling film so you can remove it if you don’t like the look… or with my home office tank that was up against a printer I did some artwork that I laminated and taped to the back. 

B2CAD2A8-ED9C-415C-8CD7-47BA75AB160E.thumb.jpeg.8d03578482fc9dc1905327272ad8e3d1.jpeg

• Like 1