inTank Media Baskets

Sexy Shrimp vs Nero 3 Wavemaker

phinatic

I am running a Nero 3 in a 13.5 G Nano and want to add sexy shrimp. I would like to run it without the guard so that it can be angled. The Nero 3 requires the unit to sit flat if using the guard. For those that have had these shrimp, how likely are they to get sucked into a wavemaker? I have attached some pictures of the Nero 3 without the guard (honeycomb) vs with the guard (tighter bars).

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 1.00.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 1.00.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 1.00.27 AM.png

I haven't kept a sexy shrimp before, but imagine that they share traits with other shrimp.  I figure they don't swim around in the water column all that much, which would limit the risk of getting caught up in the powerhead.  I imagine the guard is primarily for fish, or even anemones.  That said, there's no guarantees that any mobile inhabitant couldn't get caught up in a wavemaker.

• Agree 1
5 hours ago, seabass said:

I figure they don't swim around in the water column all that much

I've been watching them in the tanks at the store. They mostly walk along the rocks, but I have occasionally seen them "rock hop" where they kind of jump and float to the next rock. They don't seem to walk on the sand as far as I have seen in watching them.

growsomething

Two of them were sitting on top of my in-tank sicce last night doing their dance.  They had to hop up there from a distance of 3-4".  I havent seen them swimming around though.

• Like 1