SaltCritters.com

What Power head for my 10g?

Djm9288

HI,

Im looking for a powerhead for my 10g nano. Im thinking about geting a power sweep by zoomed, They are self rotating. (i liked that). So what  do you guys think aabout that?

Daniel

I use a 117 GPH Mini-jet,l it seems to do great. I have heard the powersweeps are hard to keep operational, but that was a few years back and I have never used on myself. Good luck, let us know what you do.

Alot of people will tell you that the Zoo-Med powerheads are garbage, but I've been using the sweeping powerhead for over a year with no problems. You need to clean it out every couple of months to keep it functioning properly, but it works fine.

The power sweeps are great, in my opinion, but you do have to keep up maintenance on them. Every time I do a water change I open up the power sweep and clean the junk out of it to keep it working properly.

Quote: from Djm9288 on 1:30 pm on June 11, 2002[br]HI,

Im looking for a powerhead for my 10g nano. Im thinking about geting a power sweep by zoomed, They are self rotating. (i liked that). So what  do you guys think aabout that?

Daniel

I have one in my 10 gallon, and I've been happy with the rotating blower (which is what most people complain about). However, I only have the one in my tank, and Ph levels are a problem, so the smaller model from Zoo Med might not circulate/agitate the water enough. I'll be upgrading to one of Zoo Med's larger models in the future.

Also, from what everyone has said (though I havn't experienced it yet) the blower assembly needs to be cleaned regularly otherwise it will stop sweeping. I only check to make sure there's no algae build up on the exterior moving parts, and if there is I just wipe it off and that seems to do the trick. Also, every now and then it needs a nudge to get it sweeping again. I've noticed that this happened more durring the first month or two of operation, and I can't remember doing it within the last month (mine's been operating for three months now).

Hope this helps,

Jason

so what do you guys reccommend besides those. I decided not to get a power sweep. SO what is the best one that you could reccommend?

Daniel

Really printer? I heard the opposite. Iv been told by many people to never use a large RIo as a return pump. As to daniels question, the zoomeds i wasnt fond off. Coralline algae really messes these things up and its difficult to scrub it off the pump. Right now in my 10 i have a mini jet 404. This little pump works great but has one flaw. If the power flashes on and off the pump needs a little fiddling with to have it start working again.  Is this just me? or has anyone else had that problem with the mini jets? I just got a new pump, its a shark somthing or other, cant remember the exact name. But it has a very nice design. The outlet is 180 degree slit towards the top of the pump. This sucker works great for surface agitation. Iv only had it running for about 3 days so i cant say much on its reliability yet.

Archived