Cultivated Reef

Ich or Velvet: Round 2

chasingcorals17

chasingcorals17

Recently had a velvet outbreak and got whatever remaining fish into QT. Going on day 9 of copper treatment. My hippo tang had a vicious velvet coating while in the DT before the QT process and miraculously survived. However she’s now sporting  white spots. Could it be velvet again or ich?

Copper has been at 2.5ppm using coppersafe. I know it says to do 2.0 but have seen a lot of people go to 2.5 and have very good results without harming fish

Pics of HippoTang below image.gif.735ba9727a75212086128998b257b9eb.gif

710D046E-0D6C-4E95-A1C6-841F4DE404D0.jpegF89AC7E6-037C-4F59-B4D4-3C68DDB78C80.jpeg3F535C8F-EEA8-4087-BFF5-12A15BB85D7D.jpeg

Frag Factory

If you have kept the copper level above therapeutic levels and it's never dropped I cannot see how this can be a reinfection from the parasites.

You might want to look into H2O2 baths, they can provide great relief from surface level parasites. They do not work for ich though.

(Prolly too late now that it's 4/25, but....)

Maybe it's just the pics, but to me those look like scars (eg from the prior infection) and not parasites.

How are the fish acting?  How are they eating?  How old is the display tank where the outbreak happened?

Something to consider: Misdiagnosis of something like velvet is actually pretty likely in cases like this.  Every disease manual warns about this in pretty specific terms.  Lots of infections look similar to one another. (Brook, ich, velvet, etc)  And some things that aren't infections at all ALSO look similar – plenty of folks have treated fish with copper because of a little sand stuck to their mucus coat.  Without looking very closely at the infectious organism to ID it, we're really guessing what the infection is.