Coral Vue Hydros

Micro Tank Plans

Johnny Max

20230409_131958.thumb.jpg.f4fc02363af6673e64df9e9791edc807.jpg

I had no idea how many tanks I have. Here are three very small former planted tanks. I bet I have 20 tanks!

Next project will be the middle cube tank. It will be my get this...

I want to make it a "Pulsing Xenia" Tank. With invertibrates...

Comments???

• Like 3
5 hours ago, growsomething said:

Sounds awesome!  That's the direction I'm going with a 3g, with xenia and rfa.

I was warned the Xenia would take over the tank, so I just figures I would make a Xenia tank and let it have it.

The first time I saw pulsing xenias I was amazed!!!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
banasophia
On 4/9/2023 at 6:44 PM, Johnny Max said:

I was warned the Xenia would take over the tank, so I just figures I would make a Xenia tank and let it have it.

The first time I saw pulsing xenias I was amazed!!!

Xenia is so beautiful, I think it’s a great idea! Though I might add a gorgonian and sinularia too personally, for height and interest while still keeping it simple… and be prepared, xenia may not spread as fast as you’d expect in your tank… it doesn’t for me. My LFS had a predominantly xenia tank for a while which was what mesmerized me and got me into reefing. I think they had cluster dusters in there too… but they can also really take over. 

• Like 1
Johnny Max
18 hours ago, mcarroll said:

With so many, one should be an Aiptasia tank.  Not kidding.

I already have it in a 20 tall I set up. I think. I put bumble bee snails in there. 

• Like 1
Johnny Max

I set up a Galveston Biotope in a 50G corner tank. But I jumped in with a 20 Tall. Got some rocks and soft coral from a local reefer I found on facebook.

Learning the hard way, I guess.

• Like 1
Johnny Max
2 hours ago, banasophia said:

I’d love to see pics!! 

Here is the 50g Galveston Biotope. I had a bluecrab get in there with the macroalgae and he it eating everything. He is doubling in size every frw days. I can't get him out!

20230421_220536.thumb.jpg.14155d4b2c31c878cd11c1f77b405714.jpg

Here it my first reef tank. It is a 20 tall that was given to me. Not much money in it, but it is adding up! Need more equipment. 

20230413_220013.thumb.jpg.320020a3c2a86358202eac7a73f5d3f0.jpg

20230413_220023.thumb.jpg.c0a1f5db1aa7303546469fcc795c411e.jpg

20230413_220018.thumb.jpg.5c139e75927745f18a70d58951492deb.jpg

• Like 1
growsomething

Don't feed him for a few days, then put something tough like a 1" piece of fish fillet with the skin attached on a hook.  I've caught more than a few blue crabs by accident that just won't let go when they've found something meaty.  They don't get hooked, just hang on for dear life.

Johnny Max
18 minutes ago, growsomething said:

Don't feed him for a few days, then put something tough like a 1" piece of fish fillet with the skin attached on a hook.  I've caught more than a few blue crabs by accident that just won't let go when they've found something meaty.  They don't get hooked, just hang on for dear life.

I tied a shrimp on thread and he would chew on it, but I could not get him to leave the security of the rocks.

He is 1.5" point to point now!

I took a good size aquarium dipnet. bent the net at 90° and set it on the bottom.

I tried to drag him very slowly over the net, bur he lets go and runs into the rock pile.

As far as feeding him, well, he is full of my macroalgae!

I will try again this evening. I may have to remove all the macroalgae I can, or he will eat it all.

Problem is, if I try to starve him to get him to take the bait, he will eat my gobies!

Uhhhhh!!!!!

img_1_1683115822616.thumb.jpg.2f13212d2572c3cb8c5142b53187d245.jpg

Johnny Max
3 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

bottle trap

He is now way too big. I don't see it this evening, so he must have shed again

You just need to open the neck of the bottle a little while you still have your knife out then. 😉   But seriously.  Very effective in most cases.  What about an OJ or milk bottle that comes with a bigger neck?