ReefCleaners.org

I have got it bad! Going Nano Reef!

Johnny Max

I am learning from my 50g saltwater tank. Even though I only have shrimp, hermits, killifish and macro algae. I plan to collect sea anemones this Friday if I can get to the jetty before the tide gets too high, and the rain is not not bad. Rain chance 91%! :unsure:

Anyway, when I say I have it bad, well, I caught the Saltwater Reef Bug.

I have always avoided saltwater since I had a bad experience back in the 70s :sad:

But I was a kid, and I did not even understand about cycling, nitrifying bacteria, or anything I know now.

I am gearing to set up 3 tanks; two 20g longs and a standard 20g tank. I have another 20g long with three face beveled front. I may substitute it for the 20g standard. It was my Dad’s I don’t have room for both. 

I need to build a stand for the two 20 longs.

All of these tanks will be normal reef tanks, no CrAzY Biotope stuff...

The reasons I am so excited are several.

First, was this forum, I did not know it was possible to successfully maintain a Nano-Reef Tank. The tanks and discussion here have convinced me it is possible.

Second, I found a local facebook group for Southeast Texas and I can buy and trade. I am excited because several people are giving me macro algae and one person even giving me a live rock covered with colarline! I hope to contribute to the community, eventually.

Third, I just found out that the Petco in Port Arthur is AMAZING for reef life, especially the fish. But, corals too! The one in Beaumont has a few, but few fish to choose from, and the tanks are not well kept.

Anyway, I will start on a shoestring budget, but that is because I am of Scottish decent, I think. Frugal.....

Should I do a tank journal thread for each tank? One will eventually be a frag tank, I think.

I am trying to figure out how to set up a DIY refugium for each tank.

Better bring a hammer and a chisel if you want to collect wild caught anemones.  Once they get their foot in a rock hole they are almost impossible to get out without damaging them.  If you do damage the foot and take them home, they'll die, turn into a pile of mush (that smells extremely nasty) and foul out your water...which could potentially kill any other lifeforms in the aquarium.

• Wow 1
1 hour ago, j.falk said:

Better bring a hammer and a chisel if you want to collect wild caught anemones.  Once they get their foot in a rock hole they are almost impossible to get out without damaging them.  If you do damage the foot and take them home, they'll die, turn into a pile of mush (that smells extremely nasty) and foul out your water...which could potentially kill any other lifeforms in the aquarium.

I was told that I can slowly get them detached with a credit card, because the jetty rocks are pretty smooth and when they attach the surface is normally covered with algae already. I worked one off last Friday with my finger. It was very small and attached above the water line, but it slipped from between my fingers. It was very slippery, I will be ready next time.

Unless it is storming, I will be bringing quite a few home, but under 10 total.... Unless Grand-monster No.3 gets carried away. He is coming with me to the Jetty and Galveston.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1