ReefCleaners.org

Colorado sunburst anemone.4sale Chicagoland area no shipping

pal

Hello, I’m selling a Colorado sunburst anemone. Proof of lineage purchased from FarmerTy…… mine recently split and I don’t have room for two. Nano reef special price of 300 dollars or willing to trade for nice sps frags.   Will post pics this week….

• Wow 1
  • 1 month later...

Kinda boggling. What is going on in this hobby? I’ve got healthy with lineage from FarmerTy Colorado sunburst anemone splits fully healed healthy for pick up in the Chicagoland area for cheap … no bites on here  or local local either. I’m going to feel guilty flushing them.

mitten_reef

Idk what ppl are going after these days, most of my livestocks that go with LFS to frag shows/in-store sale don’t seem to move much either.  Nem market def seems quiet for sure. 

• Agree 1
TheKleinReef
8 hours ago, pal said:

What is going on in this hobby?

lol

what happened is price gauging. really nice stuff was rarely over $200, now your average green torch coral is $500 because someone attached a name to it.

it's absolutely stupid how much the price of corals and inverts inflated in just 10 years.

• Agree 2
mitten_reef
25 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

lol

what happened is price gauging. really nice stuff was rarely over $200, now your average green torch coral is $500 because someone attached a name to it.

it's absolutely stupid how much the price of corals and inverts inflated in just 10 years.

there's a lot to unpack there.

the past ten years, the indo market closed - prices went up. 

then they re-opened, prices went up some more.

cuz apparently Indo was hoarding some of the nicest stuff the hobby had seen (torches and speciosas, specifically, and to some extent, the newer crop of "rainbow" acros). 

so that's what created the "new" normal with the nicer stuff - and stretch out the price range.

but that doesn't mean you need to chase the new names.  I have some nice acros now, but Paletta pink tip has one of my favorite coloration in the tank, same goes with Pink floyd, both had been around for ages (testament to their hardiness) and can go for around 50/frag.   

I still haven't spent over 200 per one piece in retail value.  And I certainly haven't seen a green torch at 500 - that's just dumb. If you're paying that much, I can probably buy at my LFS and mail em to you for half the price.  

don't forget that online megashops like WWC, TSA, Vivid, JF, and the likes are gonna jack up their prices even more for not just coral "names", but also their own brand recognition.  Buy from smaller places (like Ty, Epic, Cultivated, etc), chances are you'll pay less for the same named pieces or at least find better deals.     

TheKleinReef
12 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

also their own brand recognition.

this is the biggest problem though. cause they know some people will pay it. not to mention if you buy a frag for $200 you're gonna wanna sell it for $200.

10 years ago the best reputable coral dealers were not charging what they are now, for various reasons (inflation, running costs, collection costs) prices went up at a alarming rate. like disney land ticket price inflation rate.

16 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

And I certainly haven't seen a green torch at 500

i posted a listing in my thread a while ago. LPS prices are freaking stupid. I remember buying an aussie gold torch for $120. good luck finding that now unless it's from a friend.

even when they're aquacultured s collected the price doesn't change. but it's because of the reason above. they know the collectors will buy them at a premium, where as the 90% are like wtf is this price??

14 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

the past ten years, the indo market closed - prices went up. 

i thought this ended?

mitten_reef
2 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

this is the biggest problem though. cause they know some people will pay it. not to mention if you buy a frag for $200 you're gonna wanna sell it for $200.

10 years ago the best reputable coral dealers were not charging what they are now, for various reasons (inflation, running costs, collection costs) prices went up at a alarming rate. like disney land ticket price inflation rate.

i posted a listing in my thread a while ago. LPS prices are freaking stupid. I remember buying an aussie gold torch for $120. good luck finding that now unless it's from a friend.

even when they're aquacultured s collected the price doesn't change. but it's because of the reason above. they know the collectors will buy them at a premium, where as the 90% are like wtf is this price??

i thought this ended?

I did say that, they re-opened and the price went up some more. 

IMO, this is because they then knew what the buyer market was looking for (color and glow) and had been picking and mariculturing those more (i.e. the industry weren't at a full-stop while they stopped the export).  And now, the end consumers are left with all these "high-grade" corals, vs just anything goes like the old days.

lol, idk why we're debating the rising costs of corals, when the costs of equipment are just as ridiculous, if not more imo.  Some day I want a new tank, some day I just wanna quit altogether.    

TheKleinReef
28 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

when the costs of equipment are just as ridiculous,

lifespan.

an  $800 skimmer is a lot more of a rational purchase since it's gonna last 5-10 years an it's not gonna RTN on you at any given point with little/no warning lol

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

lol

and everything is smaller. pieces used to be 4 -6 inches with growth, now they are truly fragments glued yesterday. 

• Like 1
  • Recommended Discussions