SaltCritters.com

Toadstool closed up

KyleG.

Hey everyone,

I had bought a toadstool last Friday and it opened up almost immediately, and was open for a few days. It’s been retracted for a few days now and I was wondering if it usually takes 4-5 days for it to shed as I know toadstools do this. I have a 10 gallon and parameters are all where they should be. I’m running a aquaknight a029 light as well. Doesn’t look shriveled up or anything which leaves me to believe it’s just a shed 

F45E2B7F-BC4A-4A7A-8AFD-25CE97DBF5BD.jpeg

CDD6DB48-E51A-4C82-A536-5B22038963A5.jpeg

2 hours ago, KyleG. said:

I have a 10 gallon and parameters are all where they should be.

This makes me ask what your parameters are – can you post the most recent round of test results?   If you could indicate whether each test has been stable around that number or if you have noted any changes it would be cool.

Strong flow will help the shed....something to think about if you flow might be borderline.

I did a round of ammonia, nitrate, ph, and salinity on Monday ammonia nitrate has been at 0 stable, ph was at 5.5 which is usual and salinity is at 1.026, but I also have a aquaclear 50 and a wavemaker in there so I think flow is good

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, KyleG. said:

I did a round of ammonia, nitrate, ph, and salinity on Monday ammonia nitrate has been at 0 stable, ph was at 5.5 which is usual and salinity is at 1.026

Not sure I completely understand.  

pH of 5.5 is definitely problematic.  Double check that test result to be sure it's right.   Doesn't make any sense if your water is at 1.026 s.g. with normal alkalinity.

What salt mix are you using?

Ammonia should be 0.  But nitrates should be ≥ 5 ppm.  

It would be nice if you could also test phosphate (PO4) and alkalinity and post those results ASAP.

If PO4 and NO3 are both actually zero, then your coral might be in distress and not just shedding.

Have you objectively assessed the amount of light going into the tank with a lux meter (or similar) yet?  

If not, start with a free lux meter app on your smartphone and get some measurements at the waterline.  (Galactica lux meter is one folks have used quite a bit, but there are TONS of them out there.....just verify it works properly and gives good results before you do anything meaningful with it.   Not all apps are calibrated properly for all models of phone.)  I strongly suggest getting a $10-15 handheld lux meter (or better) to use in the future though.   FYI, I use an LX-1010B lux meter....a common model available everywhere that's been out forever.  I think I paid $12 for mine many years ago.

Sorry I mixed up nitrite and nitrate hahah my fault, NITRITE is at 0 and nitrate is at around 5-5.5 my ph is around 8.0-8.2 with a salinity or 1.026. I use the premade salt water mix from imagitarium. 10-15% water changed weekly. I think it’s shedding as my anthelia and gsp are growing and aways open 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, KyleG. said:

Sorry I mixed up nitrite and nitrate hahah my fault, NITRITE is at 0 and nitrate is at around 5-5.5 my ph is around 8.0-8.2 with a salinity or 1.026. I use the premade salt water mix from imagitarium. 10-15% water changed weekly. I think it’s shedding as my anthelia and gsp are growing and aways open 

PO4 would be the only real question then.  

Without knowing more about your tank I dunno if it's high priority to get a test kit or not.  

If you have lots of filtration going on in addition to fast growing corals, it's pretty easy to exhaust the available nutrient supply in a new tank.