SaltCritters.com

What makes a nano tank a nano tank?

Gellisjr1

Traditionally tanks under 40 gallons would be considered nano tanks. 

For me though, with the rise in popularity of nanos along with most manufacturers offering tanks in the sub 30 gallon range, I think a higher percentage of tanks set up are smaller as it’s a more accessible route into the hobby. 

So a 40gallon doesn’t really seem ‘nano’ to me, and would feel like more of a medium sized tank. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I always got the "vibe" that nano needed to be under 20 gallons myself.  

I see many suggest the under 40 range, but to me a 40 gallon tank is pretty big.  If you can't pick up it easily when it's empty or you have to buy a special stand, to me it's not a nano--ha!  

But to each his/her own for sure!  

12 hours ago, Gellisjr1 said:

How many gallon tank is considered too large to be considered a nano tank?

Anything too small for most fish is a nano.  (That could just be MY definition. 😉

36" tanks (eg 40 Breeder) are sorta borderline.....I think of them as "gigantic nano tanks" or "tiny normal size tanks".  

Not ideal at all for keeping normal/larger fish, but practically unlimited for nano fish.

15 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Anything too small for most fish is a nano.  (That could just be MY definition. 😉

36" tanks (eg 40 Breeder) are sorta borderline.....I think of them as "gigantic nano tanks" or "tiny normal size tanks".  

Not ideal at all for keeping normal/larger fish, but practically unlimited for nano fish.

Too small for most fish is a great description!

• Thanks 1

You'd probably have to make that "most fish in the hobby", given that "most fish", period, includes a lot of things like tuna or swordfish.