Top Shelf Aquatics

Algae on my zoas? Bryopsis?

bioscore138

bioscore138

Only growing on one plug. I just did a hydrogen peroxide dip but these guys have slowly been choking out my zoa plug. It kinda looks like bryopsis but different from all the online pics I see. Any ideas?spacer.png

It's not bryopsis, but I'm also not sure what type of macroalgae it is.  I have some that looks just like this (seems stubborn to get rid of).  After a quick search, I didn't find an ID either.

• Like 1

If you can get a look at it under a microscope, you can compare with some of the photos on PhycoKey and see what you think....they only have microscope pics for most algae like this (ie non-branching filamentous green) tho.

http://cfb.unh.edu/phycokey/Choices/Chlorophyceae/filaments/unbranched/chloro_fil_unbranched_key.html

IMO, unless you want it vs the polyps, use your fingers to tweeze it off as close to the frag plug as you can.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, lakshwadeep said:

It looks similar to Valonia (green bubble algae) except in a longer branching form

Yes it does.