ReefCleaners.org

Pico Lights

jservedio

After having my 2g up and running as a QT, it made me really want to set it back up as a reef for the next year or so while doing double duty as an observation only QT.

It's been almost 10 years since I've set up a pico, so I'm curious what everyone is using for a light these days? I know I can always safely go with a little Kessil, but if there are decent lights on Amazon in the 10-20w range that'll fit on an 8" cube, I'd love to hear how they are working out for you. There is no shortage of options, but I'd rather not be taking a shot in the dark and end up with junk for the sake of trying to save only $40-50!

1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

Reefbreeder has a pico option, very compact and nice looking.  Looks like double your intended price tho. 
https://reefbreeders.com/shop/pico-led-2023-model/

Actually, that looks super nice and comes with the gooseneck. I figured I'd be ending up with a Kessil if there is no cheap option, so right in line. Thank you!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Reefbreeder has a pico option, very compact and nice looking.  Looks like double your intended price tho. 
https://reefbreeders.com/shop/pico-led-2023-model/

I spent a few hours going through some pico builds and looking at all the Amazon stuff and for the size of the tank, I came down to the Kessil a80, this, or a PAR38 for the type of long term reliability I am looking for without having an absurd amount of power and the ReefBreeder only came out to about $20 more than a PAR38 with a nice gooseneck and digital timer so I ended up ordering one today.

Really appreciate the suggestion - it'd have cost me about $150 for the Kessil and this looks like it's ideal for the pico!

• Like 2