Coral Vue Hydros

Pom Pom Crab Eggs in Pico

Chriss Fishes

Chriss Fishes

Hello, 

I picked up an adorable Pom Pom crab (with both nems!) on Wednesday. She didn't have noticeable eggs on the way home, but last night (during the first feeding) I noticed she has eggs now. I have a few questions:

1) When she releases the eggs, will it cause water quality problems? The tank is a bit under 2 gallons, so we're not working with much in the way of dilution. 

2) She was in with other Poms at the store, so I guess it's possible they could be fertilized, depending on when fertilization of the eggs takes place in this species. I know I won't have any babies survive, I just want to make sure that doesn't change the answer to question 1.

3) Are there any recommended dry foods I can feed her? I know crabs will pretty much eat anything, but I want an easy to feed pellet thats clean and provides everything she needs to be with me for a long time. 

Thanks! 

https://youtu.be/DtT0Dx7L5C4

The eggs will be eaten by just about everything. Shouldn't cause any issues re. water quality, even a tiny tank should be able to handle that bit of extra food. If the eggs hatch, it's the same idea, except that they're moving instead of stationary. 

Pom-pom crabs aren't fussy. Pretty much any good-quality saltwater fish pellet (i.e. minimal fillers) should do the trick. Target-feeding her with a turkey baster, pipette, or tongs is your best bet to avoid making a mess. 

• Thanks 1
Chriss Fishes

Just wanted to follow this up by saying I've been spot-feeding the inverts in the tank with some Krill flakes. Doing well so far. Pom Pom crab comes out of hiding and will take them from tongs. 

Thanks for the help! 

• Like 2