Coral Vue Hydros

New Red Sea Max Nano Peninsula

DBroncos

Hello everyone, not entirely new. Had a reef tank about 15 years ago and getting back into it now. Was not sure if someone could recommend or point me to what kind of rock should I use (was thinking dry) I had live rock last time and lots of unwanted hitchhikers, etc. and what kind and how much substrate, and best way to cycle without fish? Anything would be greatly appreciated. 

mitten_reef

The article covers some tips on cycling with dry rocks. 

Dry rocks come in all sort of shapes and sizes these days...so you can pick and choose which one best fit your aquascape goal based on the product offerings.  Real Reef Rocks and Caribsea Life Rocks are two of the more popular lines.      

• Like 1
On 3/6/2023 at 10:40 AM, DBroncos said:

Any recommendations for an online reputable distributor where cured live rock can be purchased?

Unfortunately it's not 15 years ago anymore.....virtually nobody sells cured live rock anymore.  (I hope you luck out and find some tho!!)

I can't recommend dry rock......the "unwanted hitchhikers" from real, fresh ocean live rock (eg Tampa Bay Saltwater, et al) are a lot more fun than the cr*p folks go through with dead rock.  At least hitchhikers are educational....the significant ones actually have fans you can probably sell to!  🙂 

Using dead rock is retrograde – like reefing with an under gravel filter.  

Reefing with a UGF works, of course (see PaulB's old system), but why would you do that in 2023?  As expected, you don't find folks recommending UGF's.  Not sure why anyone sees dead rock as different – it has the same issues as a UGF.   Use crushed coral on a UGF (instead of river gravel) and you've pretty much got the same setup.  🤷‍♂️

BTW, are you actually looking for a distributor or just an online retailer?  No LFS?

11 hours ago, DBroncos said:

Honestly looking for an online reputable dealer for live rock. Anyone have any experience with https://gulfliverock.com/about-us

They offer premium deco or corraline base.

Tampa Bay Saltwater is the granddaddy.

But I've heard of folks using KP Aquatics and gulf live rock with good luck.

Having the rock shipped like it was livestock – by which I mean shipping it in water – drastically reduces die-off and any need for curing.....much more simple/reliable than typical live rock back in the 90's where there tended to be A LOT of die-off.  

11 hours ago, DBroncos said:

I feel like there are obviously benefits and drawbacks to live rock versus dry rock trying to determine what I want. 

Dry rock's advantages are obvious, but superficial.  Nobody can deny that it's cheaper than live rock, for example.   <*Queue your favorite saying about being cheap.*>

Maybe those superficial aspects are all your need, depending on your situation.  Maybe it's mostly just supposed to be a fish tank and anything "reefy" isn't a priority, just to make up an example. 🤷‍♂️

But from the perspective of the tank's ecology and stability there isn't much comparison.   Live rock is simpler to use AND gives a better result in most cases.  

For example, with live rock there is usually no cycle to wait through (or screw up...as it goes with lots of folks) and there is usually no room for an algae bloom to happen since live rock is already fully populated with lots of lifeforms.  (see periphyton)

In most cases, hitchhikers are not usually a bad thing even when you get some.  When they are unwanted, there's usually a decent way to deal with them.....often there are folks around here who will actually pay for your hitchhikers!!  🤑

Without question live rock is more interesting than dead rock!  🙂