Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help with raising canopy

bdmiller

Need help here ladies and gentlemen. I bought a canopy from ebay a while back. The canopy is mostly aluminum and contains 2 36 watt power compacts. I'm setting up a 10 gallon and the canopy rests on the inside ledge of the aquarium. A little over a half an inch from the water. I had regular freshwater in there yesterday checking for leaks and put the hood on for about 9 hours and the temp was up to 85 degrees. I'm thinking if I raise the tank up from the water further it may not heat the water so much. But I can't think of a way to elevate the canopy. Are there any brackets or anything I can get to raise my canopy over my 10 gallon? Any suggestions?

Thank you

Christopher Marks

What company manufactured the canopy? I know some that are like the ones you describe have clear plastic brackets to mount the lights above the tank. Jali is one of those companies...maybe you can order just the brackets from them as replacement parts?

Chris, I'm not sure of the name of the company. Does Jali have a website, so I can look to see if they would have some that fit my hood?

Dave, I'm not really good with DIY projects. Plus I already have a hood, I just need to elevate it.

Any other suggestions out there?

Another option, (if they don't have anything to raise it up), is to put a micro fan from Radio Shack in the side end caps. If I remember correctly these are plastic and should be pretty easy to cut with a Dremel. I know people have done it with retro kits in standard hoods. It might even work better than raising it since when you raise it you will decrease the lights intensity.

Well, I rigged a computer fan to blow through one side of my canopy out the other but it doesn't appear to be working too well. Temperature is still 83 degrees. I think what I've decided to do is get the legs I found to lift up the canopy a few inches. This way too, I won't have too much salt creep over the plexiglass.

Does anyone else have this canopy? And what do you do for heat control?

Archived