SaltCritters.com

Extended coral transport bucket

Thaney85

So I was just curious if anybody has tried to make a heated bucket to transport coral frags in? So I’m planning on going to reefapalooza in Orlando this year but the wife and I are wanting to spend some additional days down there to make it worth it. So I had the idea to buy and insulated bucket and put a small heater in it with a frag rack that I can keep plugged in for a couple additional days, and also keep plugged into my pickup while we travel. Any thoughts or experience with something like this

You may not necessarily need heat, a lot of corals will tolerate room temp for a bit, but I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. My suggestion would be, get yourself an insulated thing, bucket or cooler or whatnot, and add a tiny powerhead. Leave it for a few hours, and check the temperature- see if the powerhead (which is far more important than the heater any time the container isn't in motion) warms it at all. 

How long is a couple days? Literally a couple, as in two, or more? Light will start to be a problem sooner or later.