ReefCleaners.org

What matters more, water volume or tank width?

cloudk1cker

cloudk1cker

I've noticed every non-cubed tank has just about the same width and length with the only difference being the height:

• IM AIO Fusion Pro 2 (25 Gallon): 19.68 x 23.62 x 11.80
  • Waterbox AIO 35.2 (33 Gallon): 19.68 x 23.60 x 17.70

I'm reading that the length of the tank is what really matters as far as having the most number of fish in your tank as there's more space for fish to claim their territories (among many other variables of course)...So I'm actually debating on this tank here, but it's lower in gallons:

• IM Fusion Pro 2 Peninsula (20 Gallon): 11.80 x 30 x 13

As far as fish stock is concerned.. what matters most with these nano tanks? Tank volume or tank length?

I much rather have lesser water volume (20 gallons would ideally be great..) BUT I want the option that would give me the best chance to have the most number of small fish.

What would be the best pick from these tanks to have the largest number of small fish in my tank? (I love the coral but i'm more in this to have some fish)

Thanks for any help

geekreef_05

How many tangs are you planning for?

J/k. 

My favorite sized standard aquarium was the 33 Long. I think the large surface area provides good gas exchange per gallon. 

48" long 

12" tall

12" wide 

Maybe they still sell 'em. Still considered a nano size and can be run with nano style filteration/ maintenance methodology. Could have a full mixed reef with 6 or 7 small fish.

• Like 1

Water volume helps with dilution and stability of parameters.  Surface area helps with fish that share the same swimming level.  I feel that you're right, a tank of X gallons with more surface area will typically provide a little more room for territories than a tank of similar water volume with less surface area.  The exception being fish which tend to keep to different levels (like bottom dwellers and mid-level swimmers).  However, the difference between most tanks will be fairly minimal.  If you want more fish, you should get a bigger tank.

• Like 4
On 3/2/2023 at 5:02 AM, cloudk1cker said:
  • IM AIO Fusion Pro 2 (25 Gallon): 19.68 x 23.62 x 11.80
  • Waterbox AIO 35.2 (33 Gallon): 19.68 x 23.60 x 17.70

I'm reading that the length of the tank is what really matters as far as having the most number of fish in your tank as there's more space for fish to claim their territories (among many other variables of course)...So I'm actually debating on this tank here, but it's lower in gallons:

• IM Fusion Pro 2 Peninsula (20 Gallon): 11.80 x 30 x 13

As far as fish stock is concerned.. what matters most with these nano tanks? Tank volume or tank length?

I much rather have lesser water volume (20 gallons would ideally be great..) BUT I want the option that would give me the best chance to have the most number of small fish.

These tanks are all the same size category – you aren't gonna have many fish no matter what you pick.  

(Freshwater has a MUCH MUCH better selection of fish for tanks this size.  By comparison saltwater only has a few....and a high percentage of the ones that work are on the rare side or have other issues.)

You won't really get significantly more fish until you get into the bigger 4' tanks (75g and up) or longer.

IMO, out of the list you posted (ie you can't go bigger), select the tank you love the best.  It's a "six of one; half-dozen of another" kind of list.  🙂 

• Like 1