Cultivated Reef

Goodwood's 3.7 Gallon

Goodwood

My Step-father and I had a 180 gallon mixed reef about 20 years ago. It was as fancy as you could get for the early 2000's, Iwaki return pumps, metal halides, and a chiller that was louder than the fridge. I also remember carpets of Green Star, a Bubble Coral the size of a dinner plate, some SPS and some mushrooms. Along with a small budget, for experimental purposes, this is my inspiration for this build. 

Tank: Imagitarium 3.7 Gallon AIO

Heater: Hydor 25w w/ Inkbird controller

Pump: Sicce Nano 

Media: Ceramic rings, and Matala pad

Light: ABI Tuna Blue PAR38 12w bulb

I currently top this tank off daily manually wit RODI water. I only lose about 1oz a day

Livestock:

3 Blue &ermit Crabs

2 Astrea Snails

Green Star Polyps

Green Palythoa

Xenia

"Jack-o-lantern" Leptoseris

Some Zoanthids

1 Mushroom

1 Ricordia

The substrate and live-rock were given to me by my LFS as I happened to be at the right place at the right time. Lucky me! 

The plan for this tank was a proof of concept to see if I could grow some soft corals with minimal investment, and that seems to be going well. I bought a 15 gallon cube with the intent to move everything to that when it gets set up, but we shall see. 

20230204_151526.jpg

20230211_200123.jpg

20230211_202543.jpg

20230211_202619.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome to NR. That is a nice set up. How long has it been wet? Nice scape and coral choices. 

6 hours ago, Goodwood said:

I bought a 15 gallon cube with the intent to move everything to that when it gets set up, but we shall see. 

This could happen sooner than you think. 

2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome to NR. That is a nice set up. How long has it been wet? Nice scape and coral choices. 

Thanks! It has been wet for about 2 months. Snails and crabs are relatively new. Corals have been in since the cycle finished at the three week mark. 

2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

My somewhat local frag shop told me about corals on day one, before the cycle, and it makes sense to me. I have always planted freshwater tanks on day one!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 3:34 PM, Goodwood said:

Thanks! It has been wet for about 2 months. Snails and crabs are relatively new. Corals have been in since the cycle finished at the three week mark. 

My somewhat local frag shop told me about corals on day one, before the cycle, and it makes sense to me. I have always planted freshwater tanks on day one!

The analogy doesn't quite fit though as corals are animals just like fish and ammonia is toxic to them. They will probably be fine though, just try to not to let the ammonia levels get too high.

I'm actually going to set up a 4 gallon AIO as well this month, and honestly already looking forward to a small nano as well :')

Good luck!