Innovative Marine Aquariums

mp10 nero5 or nero3

Pjanssen

My Maxspect Gyre bit the dust! It's ok, I got 7-8 years out of it. It was great on my bio cube, but not quite so much on the 55. So, 2 MP10's (the most expensive$$), 2 Nero5's, or 2 Nero3's? I guess I could also do 2 of the gyres as well. Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks.

4 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

My Maxspect Gyre bit the dust! It's ok, I got 7-8 years out of it. It was great on my bio cube, but not quite so much on the 55. So, 2 MP10's (the most expensive$$), 2 Nero5's, or 2 Nero3's? I guess I could also do 2 of the gyres as well. Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks.

How thick is the glass on the 55? My MP10s wouldn't really work on my 50 and would fall off. Also 8 years is longer than I ever got out of an MP10. I went through 4 in 10 years. Blue box, original white box, and two wireless and only one of the wireless could be considered good condition after only 4 years and had to replace the wet side on it.

I like the MP10s more than my gyres for how easy they are to use and place, but at least the 10s aren't that durable.

I think the Nero 3s would be a little underpowered but there is no bad choice. The gyres are way more powerful than the MP10s though, especially if it's a 4ft tank.

• Thanks 1
demonclownfish
2 hours ago, jservedio said:

How thick is the glass on the 55? My MP10s wouldn't really work on my 50 and would fall off. Also 8 years is longer than I ever got out of an MP10. I went through 4 in 10 years. Blue box, original white box, and two wireless and only one of the wireless could be considered good condition after only 4 years and had to replace the wet side on it.

I like the MP10s more than my gyres for how easy they are to use and place, but at least the 10s aren't that durable.

I think the Nero 3s would be a little underpowered but there is no bad choice. The gyres are way more powerful than the MP10s though, especially if it's a 4ft tank.

my mp10(original) on my 75 is still going strong after over 10 years with OG dry/wet sides. I run ~40% reefcrest. To kill that many MP10's you'd have to be running max wave mode 24/7

• Like 1

Nero 3s for sure. 

I have problems with my mp10s sticking to my 35 gallon shallow tank. I wish i got neros for it. 

The mp10s are super noisey, take up alot more space and sometimes fall off the glass. The nero 3s wont have those issues.

• Like 1

If I had a larger tank, I would go with the new Maxspect gyres. It's almost like 4 wavemakers in one with how they can be adjusted. I switched from 2 gyres to 2 Nero 5's in my 40-gallon. It doesn't seem like there is enough flow as I had with the gyres. I now have 2 points of flow rather than 4.

1 hour ago, demonclownfish said:

my mp10(original) on my 75 is still going strong after over 10 years with OG dry/wet sides. I run ~40% reefcrest. To kill that many MP10's you'd have to be running max wave mode 24/7

100% on reef crest on my 20g with the wireless or newer, less for the older ones. The bearings on the old ones (up until the updated it for the wES) were trash, even at 60% it went from pretty quiet to grinding in like 2 years. If you have an original MP10 and it isn't grinding, you are super lucky - probably 100s of people on here, myself included, from the early 2010s with failed bearings (just look at Ben's bearing replacement guide thread!).

Only had a single dry side totally fail, but they'd go from near-silent to a grinding mess in just a few years. That said, I still like MP10s and the new QDs are way better than the old ones and push much more water.

I just wouldn't pick it for a longer tank since you'd need at least two instead of a single gyre (which has also dramatically improved since the original). It also saves a bunch of money if you need to add a 2nd since the controller runs 2 pumps.

• Like 2
demonclownfish
15 hours ago, jservedio said:

100% on reef crest on my 20g with the wireless or newer, less for the older ones. The bearings on the old ones (up until the updated it for the wES) were trash, even at 60% it went from pretty quiet to grinding in like 2 years. If you have an original MP10 and it isn't grinding, you are super lucky - probably 100s of people on here, myself included, from the early 2010s with failed bearings (just look at Ben's bearing replacement guide thread!).

Only had a single dry side totally fail, but they'd go from near-silent to a grinding mess in just a few years. That said, I still like MP10s and the new QDs are way better than the old ones and push much more water.

I just wouldn't pick it for a longer tank since you'd need at least two instead of a single gyre (which has also dramatically improved since the original). It also saves a bunch of money if you need to add a 2nd since the controller runs 2 pumps.

I must be lucky, I just looked at the date. It'll be 10 years old on march 6th. BD: 3-6-13.

Still running like a champ and my MP40QD is a beast. 

• Like 1