Top Shelf Aquatics

My turn for the 7g Bowfront

LSUtiger

Ok, I guess it's my turn now. I'm ready to buy my 7g AGA bowfront, but I want to make sure that I cover everything.

I'll be ordering the tank online, so I am going to order the other main equipment at the same time, and I could use some help with what all I need.

So far I figure I'm buying:

7g AGA bowfront (obviously)

75w Ebo Jager heater (seems to be what many have)

mini-jet 404 (do I need more than one?)

That's where I get stuck. I would like to have a HOB refugium as well. Can someone recommend one for the 7g? I see the CPR Aquafuge 12". Would that work, or is there something better? Also, do I need a skimmer for this size tank?

Lighting: I saw recommended somewhere the CSL 15in 2 x 32watt ABS Hood. Will this retrofit the 7g AGA bowfront? I may not purchase the lighting initially, so can I get by with what comes with the aquarium or is there a bulb that will work with the existing hood that will suffice for keeping corals? I'm not exactly sure what kind of corals I want to keep yet; I still have some homework to do here.

One more question, has anyone purchased a stand online for this aquarium? I need to get something to keep it on preferably with cabinets underneath.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mark

I have the 2.5 gallon hang on fuge and it fits perfectly. The downisde is that my microchiller is now hanging on the side of the tank (not very pretty but I need the cooling and additional water flow. Hopefully I will get my old chiller/heater out of storage and get it back up and running.

harbingerofthefish

Equipment wise you seem pretty set. If the cash flow is there I would go ahead and get your lighting squared away at this point too.

My question is your ordering the 7 gal online. Where? I have yet to find an online price for less than what I can buy it retail at.

the only way to buy the aga online and get a good price is to buy a "kit." I bought my 7 gallon aga, complete with powerhead, heater, lr,ls, etc. from acmereef.com. I don't know if they are still in business. If they are, and you order from them, tell them to get smaller rocks as they gave me 3 large rocks that took up most of the bottom of the tank.

harbingerofthefish

Crakeur

yeah I remember stubbling across thier site a while back. I went over again and thier kits...ouch! I looked around and they have the tank itself for 60. Still I can get it retail for the same price. I think I'm just going to wait till xmas time and hope for them to mark some stuff down. Especially because the LFS has two 7 bows and there collecting dust on the top shelf. I'm not as cheap a bastard as it seems, but compared to my free 5 gal, 60 for the 7 is quite a jump.

didn't think you were cheap at all. I just felt, at the time, that the package they offered was a decent deal. If I were to shop around I definitely could find it cheaper but I would end up with stuff coming from several locations. This was one order, two boxes and everything there for the start up.

Just realized the name LSUtiger. I went to Tulane and, while our Football team sucked for 3 of my four years there, we did take #4 ranked LSU down to the wire in my freshman year. They won the game with almost no time left on the clock. Our only home loss of the season. Unfortunately, the dome was rocking with Tiger fans. Hell of a crowd, hell of a town, hell of a time.

Small world. I'll be at the LSU game tomorrow. There have definately been some good LSU-Tulane games in the past. Now the rivalry has switched to baseball I think.

Mark

Archived