Top Shelf Aquatics

(2) Current USA Orbit vs. 50 watt Nicrew LED for 20 gallon (regular) tank

RemoGaggi

I'm trying to get my tank back in shape after running into some neglect issues (my fault).  In the past I've had LPS and softies only - Zoas, monti's, GSP, and some other easy stuff.  My fish are all doing great, but I'm thinking about improving my lighting as part of the tune up / upgrade.  

My (2) Current USA orbits lights (24" long) are 4 years old and been thinking of switching over to the 50 watt Nicrew LEDs  Is the single 50 watt Nicrew an improvement (in general) over the two (2) Current USA Marine Leds I already have?  Or would the Nicrew be more of the same and I just stick with what I have.  Thank you for your comments and suggesions in advance.  

33 minutes ago, RemoGaggi said:

I'm trying to get my tank back in shape after running into some neglect issues (my fault).  In the past I've had LPS and softies only - Zoas, monti's, GSP, and some other easy stuff.  My fish are all doing great, but I'm thinking about improving my lighting as part of the tune up / upgrade.  

My (2) Current USA orbits lights (24" long) are 4 years old and been thinking of switching over to the 50 watt Nicrew LEDs  Is the single 50 watt Nicrew an improvement (in general) over the two (2) Current USA Marine Leds I already have?  Or would the Nicrew be more of the same and I just stick with what I have.  Thank you for your comments and suggesions in advance.  

that really depends on your tank shape, deep vs shallow?  which Orbit lights do you have, regular vs 'marine pro' (i think they have different led chips = diff power/output)?  

The 24" IC Pro lists as 54 W output on BRS https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/orbit-marine-ic-pro-dual-led-light-fixture-with-loop-controller-current-usa.html?dfw_tracker=43788-250114&ab_version=A&utm_term=&utm_campaign=EL+|+ACQ_Prospecting_Shopping+|+ROAS+|+Smart+|+Lighting&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=7373341438&hsa_cam=18322338181&hsa_grp=&hsa_ad=&hsa_src=x&hsa_tgt=&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=CjwKCAiA85efBhBbEiwAD7oLQJIobxvCpsMGXZ-02lVxZO2BchRVO5g2uunmRNT2pX92LMefgomhChoCD38QAvD_BwE

I'd personally sticks with that and runs at higher intensity, unless you need high light demands that require the "spotlight" form factor of the nicrew.

By "20 regular" I think you mean 20 Tall....which is 24x12x16, right?

You picked pretty ideal lights the first time around for that tank when you picked up the Currents.  Good coverage, good power.  Newer ones are probably even nicer than the ones you have.

If you're talking about the Nicrew singe-puck light, then I don't think the fit is good.  

Since it's a spotlight, you'd want two of them for even lighting.

Also, you wouldn't need then both to be that powerful unless you're trying to create a shallow water environment for (eg) clams.

So, a pair of the 30 watt models would probably be a better fit, if that's the brand you're looking at.

(I just noticed the Current website says they've shut down/sold out to saltwater aquariums dot com or something like that.  Wow.)

On 2/10/2023 at 10:11 AM, RemoGaggi said:

Or would the Nicrew be more of the same and I just stick with what I have.  Thank you for your comments and suggesions in advance.  

I think in your shoes I'd stick with what you have.  It's a darn good light setup.

(I should have read to the end before I started posting....LOL.)