Pod Your Reef

RedReids First Big Tank.

Redreidy

Hi All,

I wanted share some ideas for my new tank sense check some of the equipment I am planning to buy. Please bear in mind that this tank is going in my living room so aesthetics matter. This isn’t my first tank I have a 16 gal fish and Macro Algae tank (around 4 years old now) that I intend to keep running in some capacity as a quarantine tank. I will be updating the build periodically here, hopefully, to document my progress.

I have ordered the Aqua One Reefsys 180 tank. Some details of the tank below.

Tank dimensions - 60x55x53cm

Tank Volume – 144l or 38.04 US Gal.

Sump Volume – 36l or 9.51 US Gal.

Total System Volume – approximately 180l or 47.55 UG Gal.

My tank is due to arrive in mid Feb and I have been doing some window shopping about what kit I want to go with as I will need to purchase soon. My current thoughts are.  

Initial purchases (next few weeks)

Lighting – One AI Prime 16 HD Reef LED – highly customisable and controllable via app. can mimic a day-night cycle love the idea of a moonlight mode. I can also buy one initially and go tandem in the future. I have never done corals before so I will be starting off with easy to care types.

Return Pump - Red Sea ReefRun 5500 DC Return Pump or TMC Reef Pump CONNECT 5000 DC Return Pump – From what I can gather, never had a sump before, return flow seems appropriate on both these models. Reasonable price point and both controllable via an app (tech geek).

ATO - H2Ocean Compact ATO Auto Top-Up – seems cheap and cheerful, sump only has a small space for RO/DI so don’t want to go overboard here.

Rock – Dry rock, I want to build an multiple arch based structure and glue together, don’t like the idea of the problems that live rock can bring.

Heater – Looking for suggestions here, not really seen anything exciting. Must be available in the UK.

Sand – Looking for something with a larger grain, I had fine coral sand in my 16 gal and it was a nightmare for cleaning, I just end up syphoning up the sand. Debating whether going for black substrate. Any suggestions?

Sump – Never had a sump before so not really sure what to do here. It comes with a filter sock so might just throw a bit more biological filtration in here as I want the aquascape to be mostly arches and swimming space (fish are my main priority in the hobby). Any other suggestions?

Future purchases next 12 months

Skimmer - Red Sea RSK-300 Reefer Skimmer – Don’t know anything about skimmers but this one looks nice! Anything one should be looking out for here?

I know its early days but stock wise I have a 3ish inch Clownfish (had for 4 years now) a Royal Grammar and a cleaner shrimp that will be moving from my 16 gal.

Other fish I am considering some combination of:

·         Flame Hawkfish

·         Second clownfish – (do same species but different colour/pattern clown fish get on well)

·         Six line Wrasse

·         Potentially some sort of Pygmy Angel (not sure if my system will be large enough)

·         Citron Goby

·         Midas Blenny

·         Blue Cheek Goby

I have no idea what corals I will attempt to do any suggestions are welcome. I like the idea of a small zoa garden on an isolated rock at the front of the tank but beyond that I have no plans.

• Like 1

@Ratvan might be able to connect you to a few other UK folks on here...

plan seems good.  make sure to research fish compatibility carefully because going from 16 to 38 gallons, you're not giving the mature clown that much more space/territory.  and yes, you can do diff colors/patterns of the same species of clownfish.  

54 minutes ago, Redreidy said:

Potentially some sort of Pygmy Angel (not sure if my system will be large enough)

coming from someone who loves angels.... don't get one. live vicariously through those of us that made the mistake of getting one 😄

I think everything looks like a solid plan. BRS has a good video on the skimmer you're eye balling.

57 minutes ago, Redreidy said:

Heater – Looking for suggestions here, not really seen anything exciting.

can't go wrong with the eheim jager heaters, but they are pretty big. I just got the IM helio heater and I'm a huge fan, but they're significantly more expensive due to the controller and smaller form factor.

19 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

coming from someone who loves angels.... don't get one. live vicariously through those of us that made the mistake of getting one 😄

Oh really 😅 do you mind sharing your perspective? I have always had a preference for fish with deep bodies (used to keep freshwater angels and discus) but I just cant house a tank big enough for tangs or larger angels so I kinder had my heart set on an pygmy angel as a centrepiece fish of the tank. Having said this I'm practical if its not suitable its not suitable. 

19 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

can't go wrong with the eheim jager heaters, but they are pretty big. I just got the IM helio heater and I'm a huge fan, but they're significantly more expensive due to the controller and smaller form factor.

I like the idea of the controller but IM Helio aren't available in the UK so i might have to go looking for a similar alternative, price point seems ok in my book. 

18 minutes ago, Redreidy said:

Oh really 😅 do you mind sharing your perspective? I have always had a preference for fish with deep bodies (used to keep freshwater angels and discus) but I just cant house a tank big enough for tangs or larger angels so I kinder had my heart set on an pygmy angel as a centrepiece fish of the tank. Having said this I'm practical if its not suitable its not suitable

They’re gonna nip at corals. Even if you don’t see it they’re doing it. I was getting horrible PE in my previous tank but when sps went on to the frag rack boom I had polyp extension. I set up a camera and recorded a few hours while I avoided the tank and sure enough the flame angel was nipping. 

I have a potters angel now which is so pretty I won’t get rid of it but it destroyed my brain coral. 
the people that say “it depends on the fish” are lying. Lol it’ll nip. 

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

@Ratvan might be able to connect you to a few other UK folks on here...

plan seems good.  make sure to research fish compatibility carefully because going from 16 to 38 gallons, you're not giving the mature clown that much more space/territory.  and yes, you can do diff colors/patterns of the same species of clownfish.  

Thanks for the input, I feel I might have overstated my clownfish, I wouldn't describe her as mature by any stretch, I have seen much bigger. I'd say she is 2-3 inches. She's a black and white clown pretty sure she's an Ocellaris so I should be able to get something a bit more fancy to pair with her. If she wasn't my first marine fish would trade her in and get a couple of saddleback clowns but I have grown fond of her. She gets on great with the Royal Gramma so hopeful she will be ameinable to a mate. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

They’re gonna nip at corals. Even if you don’t see it they’re doing it. I was getting horrible PE in my previous tank but when sps went on to the frag rack boom I had polyp extension. I set up a camera and recorded a few hours while I avoided the tank and sure enough the flame angel was nipping. 

I have a potters angel now which is so pretty I won’t get rid of it but it destroyed my brain coral. 
the people that say “it depends on the fish” are lying. Lol it’ll nip. 

Ahh, so this might be blasphemy on this forum but corals will very much be a secondary concern to me than the fish. I will probably be looking at the easy to grow "weed like" corals, at least to start with, so I'm not sure I will be too upset with some coral nipping in the short term. 

12 minutes ago, Redreidy said:

Ahh, so this might be blasphemy on this forum but corals will very much be a secondary concern to me than the fish. I will probably be looking at the easy to grow "weed like" corals, at least to start with, so I'm not sure I will be too upset with some coral nipping in the short term. 

corals are a slippery slope. You'll start easy and weed corals, then you're gonna get the LPS bite, then the SPS bite. It's inevitable 😛

but if that's truly the case, get one of the super pretty ones, potters or golden. If I could have found a golden I would have gotten that.

also, in 38 gallons an angel fish is gonna be a total a**hole. So keep that in mind with other fish and aquascape. Be prepared to rehome it as well. My flame angel was a total degenerate with 3 other fish in a 29g, but was a lot more tolerant of other fish when I went from 29G to 65G.

• Like 1

Soo I went on a bit of a shopping spree for my new tank. My orignial budget of £1000 has already been blown out of the water!!

I have ordered:

• AI Prime 16 HD (black to match the cabinet) with the solid attachment arm. 
  • TMC Reef Pump CONNECT 5000 DC return pump.
  • H2Ocean Compact ATO Auto Top-Up.
  • Maxspect Nano-Tech Bio-Sphere 1kg (for the sump).
  • Red Sea Marine Care Multi Test Kit - to get me through the cycling process (honestly I don't have any test left as my 16 gal is pretty stable).
  • Eheim Thermocontrol+e WIFI Heater 150w
  • Fritz Turbo Start 900 118ml / 4oz (Will be doing a dry cycle)

I am still debating which wave maker, I like the aesthetics of the AI Nero range, not sure whether the 3 or the 5 would be more appropriate for my size of tank. I have also been looking at the Maxspect Jump Gyre MJGF2K obviously these are two different ways to skin the same cat but I have never tried a gyre generating pump so unsure about these. 

My next step will be to look at substrate and rock.

I will be looking at dry rock for multiple reasons we probably don't need to go into here. but my question is how much. I will be looking to create an arch like structure so I dont think I will need a massive mound of rock but what would be appropriate wright for a ~ 40 gal tank?

Substrate wise I am looking for something a bit more coarse, I went with fine coral sand in my 16 gal and its a nightmare, all just siphons out when I try to clean the tank. any suggestions? 

EXCITING!!!!

Definitely a nero 3. You could always add another down the road and 2 smaller pumps is usually better than one big one. 

as for rock always get more than you think, you’re going to want the variety of shapes. 

sand, I like my reeflakes but i know people like special grade (I think that’s what it’s called) as well. I use Fiji pink inthe past as well. Will probably consider it in the future. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So the tank has arrived. 

I have found a spot for it, please ignore the door, currently the archway has a baby gate on it so its going to be tucked behind the tank for now. (it can be taken off without moving the tank so isn't stuck) 

I am taking my time setting up the kit. There is a lot of wire management. I think I will attach a multiplug on the back of the cupboard and run all the wiring back there. I'm a bit dubious of the tubing going from the tank to the sump, these rely on just hand tightened o-rings when they pass through the bottom of the tank. I was tempted to certment these in place but I guess this would cause issues later down the line so refrained. 

I have also purchased a AI Nero 3 with the intention that I will buy a second at some point in the future. I have spent around 1500 so far so only about £500 over budget. 

Once all the tech is in I am going to start building a NSA Aquascape using Marco Rock, superglue and Epoxy, which I have never done before which will be interesting. Then I will need to figure out how I am going to get 180lt of Water from the LFS!!

image_67161089.JPG

• Like 1