Pod Your Reef

Invasive Sponge?

Yjammaz

I first noticed this substance around the pink and green palythoas. My first assumption was that its flesh matter that allows the palys to spread or part of its anatomy in general. However it has taken on mass and migrated away from the palys overtime and began taking over some trumpet corals amongst a couple zoas. it seems to have a slow effect and not immediately kill my candy canes. obviously invasive, it appears and feels sponge like in texture. Might anybody know what this is? Thanks a lot for any direction!

A830E816-D546-421A-96BF-40B9FEDB88CF.jpeg

E4FDEC21-2507-435B-8C82-386591C6C23F.jpeg

C652A1DE-E87D-4A0E-8205-701E9B1A38B8.jpeg

32 minutes ago, growsomething said:

Can you take a photo with the blue lights turned down?  Hard to distinguish things in the pic.

Before snapping these photos I blasted it with a baster full of air and seems to be receding. More certain bow than before that its a sponge of some kind. Hope these pictures help to identify it. Thank you for the response!

107C8DF8-08DE-46A5-B392-41A8C6669EB0.jpeg

6F607141-6A95-4A4B-88E1-48FCA87DAEB0.jpeg

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

looks like sponge, is it more orange to the eyes than that? the orange one is pretty invasive.  scrub it with toothbrush, maybe? 

it has the dull fleshy purple grey color most leather corals seem to display, in person i don't notice any orange. so far it doesn't sound like i should wait for it to get worse

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

looks like sponge, is it more orange to the eyes than that? the orange one is pretty invasive.  scrub it with toothbrush, maybe? 

much thanks for the suggestion! if i dont syphon it all out when i scrub it off do u think it can grab hold on another location? or when its dead, its history?

1 hour ago, Yjammaz said:

much thanks for the suggestion! if i dont syphon it all out when i scrub it off do u think it can grab hold on another location? or when its dead, its history?

zoomed in on its siphon tube, the base of that looks orange to me.  I don't know if it can re-plant itself, but I'd def try my best not to let stray pieces settle down anywhere.  after you're done, you can use the turkey baster to blast around the rock to make sure you get them all. 

I bought a few small pencil urchins, they're one of not many critters that can eat the sponge.  but they also love eating all my coraline algae, so I don't want to recommend them, especially in a smaller tank. 

On 1/26/2023 at 11:49 AM, Yjammaz said:

began taking over some trumpet corals

Do you just mean that it's growing there?   If so, then I'd just say let it be and stop freaking out. 😉  Sponges are a part of healthy reefs. 

Or does "taking over" imply something bad seems to be happening to the Trumpets?  If so, please describe the bad.

If you want, maybe tell us how you're feeding and otherwise taking care of the tank, share your test results, tank age, other details.  

Perhaps something you're doing is favoring this sponge more than it's favoring your coral?

I think actively worrying about the sponge is premature at best.  IMO it should be a sign that your reef is succeeding.