Coral Vue Hydros

Chaeto Photoperiod

demonclownfish

demonclownfish

Most articles I've found are 5+ years old and we consistently get new info in this hobby. I am running my refugium light 24/7, how many of you do the same? I've been considering doing 20 on and 4 off(during the middle of the DT lights being on). 

Do you run 24/7, less? What are your experiences. 

Chaeto will do fine with an 8 hour light cycle (I imagine even less).  However, (primarily to help even out pH) most people who run a chaeto refugium (within their sump) will run its light cycle opposite the display's light cycle (so somewhere between 12 and 18 hours a day).  And as you are currently doing, chaeto doesn't need a night/dark cycle, so running a chaeto reactor all day long is another possibility.

• Like 2
demonclownfish
2 hours ago, seabass said:

Chaeto will do fine with an 8 hour light cycle (I imagine even less).  However, (primarily to help even out pH) most people who run a chaeto refugium (within their sump) will run its light cycle opposite the display's light cycle (so somewhere between 12 and 18 hours a day).  And as you are currently doing, chaeto doesn't need a night/dark cycle, so running a chaeto reactor all day long is another possibility.

I recently got a high quality par38 grow bulb and growth has exploded. It's quintupled in size in a week(which is why I was thinking about cutting back) as well as other algae is blooming in the sump with the high quality lamp. 

demonclownfish
2 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Coral tank?   Don't let your system's nutrient levels run down to zero.

I dose as well, will keep an eye on increased uptake 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Chaeto and all marco algae's are a tool for our systems. It can provide balance if used in the right situation. 

Your fuge light cycle should really be a function of whats happening with the reef and what kinda bioload you need to balance.

18 to 24hrs of light 

- If you have alot of nutrients (over 40ppm nitrate and high phos).

- If you have a heavy feeding and bioload

- chaeto will have to be trimmed regularly 

- If this is you, its time for a skimmer

10 to 18hrs

- moderte nutrient load

- tank is balanced in bioload. Mild over feeding. 

- moderate chaeto growth

6hrs to 10hrs

- low nutrients

- low feeding and bioload system

Also, fuge lights running opposite to your display tank lights can be help to balance pH. 

Hope that helps.