Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

3g frag tank for $19 (some assembly required)

Tamberav

• Tamberav changed the title to 3g frag tank for $19 (some assembly required)

FYI this has two holes in the overflow and is meant to be attached to a sump or another existing system. There are about 20 left. 

I am sure you could glue acrylic over the holes and drill the overflow if there isn't a hole there already and make it a tiny 1 chamber AIO instead. 

1 hour ago, Tired said:

Oo, thanks for the alert, I snagged one. I want to see if I can mount it over my tank and plumb them together. At that price, it's worth a shot! 

Worse case you could probably modify it to suit your needs. Cover holes or drill new holes or do whatever. 

The biggest thing is this is a DIY.. as in its just cut pieces of acrylic and the user builds their own tank. I figure that is how they are able to offer them cheap. Probably want to get some out the door for people to play with. 

I have never purchased from this company before just a fair warning to anyone 🙂 I figured for the price though it's worth looking into.

Loose mockup that they posted. I do not think it comes with bulkheads though since it says no plumbing.

image.thumb.png.bdab1bdb29c47bb89a58228d4f7ff084.png

image.thumb.png.8ef52a38c2358050b1c20e8d253dae65.png

I think lid looks something like this... and has a cutout for a clamp on light from what they said

image.png.1283376b20610cf045d9c5e3303cd80b.png

They also mentioned the kits are made to order so don't expect shipping immediately. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 8:17 PM, Tired said:

Oo, thanks for the alert, I snagged one. I want to see if I can mount it over my tank and plumb them together. At that price, it's worth a shot! 

did you get yours yet? Mine arrived today. Packed very well. Looks like it will be a nice little tank. 

01D4D5EA-F6AA-4E49-A0A5-6D42D0FE5C8D.thumb.jpeg.765b3ed6b4cf71bd67450ca625390387.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

IMG_0613.jpg

Yes I did! Had to open it very carefully, of course. 

IMG_0629.jpg

Cat inspection of all relevant parts. 

IMG_0628.jpg

Dry fit. I intentionally put that 'inlet' opening inside the filter compartment because I'm either going to cover it up, or use it as an emergency drain; the inward flow will be from a canister filter that comes up and over the side, so I don't have to mess about with plumbing those in. 

The little slits that let water into the filter compartment are tiny! Which is good on a tank this size; don't want anything getting in there. I'm probably going to use this for a mushroom-and-sexy-shrimp lagoon, so it's needed. 

Now I have to work out how to plumb it. I could just put a couple tiny lengths of pipe through the drainage holes to make sure the water doesn't surface-tension itself along the bottom of the tank, since all it needs to do is fall straight down, but I need to look into what option would be quietest. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Tired said:

IMG_0613.jpg

Yes I did! Had to open it very carefully, of course. 

IMG_0629.jpg

Cat inspection of all relevant parts. 

IMG_0628.jpg

Dry fit. I intentionally put that 'inlet' opening inside the filter compartment because I'm either going to cover it up, or use it as an emergency drain; the inward flow will be from a canister filter that comes up and over the side, so I don't have to mess about with plumbing those in. 

The little slits that let water into the filter compartment are tiny! Which is good on a tank this size; don't want anything getting in there. I'm probably going to use this for a mushroom-and-sexy-shrimp lagoon, so it's needed. 

Now I have to work out how to plumb it. I could just put a couple tiny lengths of pipe through the drainage holes to make sure the water doesn't surface-tension itself along the bottom of the tank, since all it needs to do is fall straight down, but I need to look into what option would be quietest. 

Ohhh that is a GREAT idea to flip it!!

Yah, I think the slits were bigger at first but someone mentioned a tank this size would have tiny gobies they didn't want to take a ride down so they made them smaller.

They are now producing a sump to go with it for $30. I am not sure I will get it.. may do my own sump as I have plenty of small tanks laying around or plumb the tiny tank into my other display. 

So far I am pleased with the company, they took a lot of feedback on the design of this pico. Now you just have to get it glued together without screwing up 😅

It seems their next DIY will be a drop off tank

image.thumb.png.5e3308218ee2670aaa3ba4b1fa2b6d68.png

You know, that drop-off might make a cute little paludarium-type setup. Leave the filter compartment out, fill the deep area with water, put soil on the shallow area. Not large enough to house fish if set up like that, but it could hold a few nice aquatic plants. That's, what, roughly the mass of a 10gal tank, counting the stand? 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Tired said:

You know, that drop-off might make a cute little paludarium-type setup. Leave the filter compartment out, fill the deep area with water, put soil on the shallow area. Not large enough to house fish if set up like that, but it could hold a few nice aquatic plants. That's, what, roughly the mass of a 10gal tank, counting the stand? 

Ya probably around that. That is a cool idea as well. 

Now you got me like..

Thinking Think GIF by TLC