Cultivated Reef

Using tap water rather than RODI water

DickTest

On 1/14/2023 at 2:48 AM, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

the thing about 'amazing tap water' is one day it can just change and become totally crappy....and unless you're testing every time you turn the tap on you won't necessarily know until something goes wrong. I've had water suddenly come out my tap at 0.5ppm nitrite before now. (Obviously nitrite isn't relevant to SW systems but it just goes to show how much, and how quickly, it can go from being okay to being really not okay.)

You are very correct!!    There is some amazing tap water out there that is consistent in a few month period

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Don’t mix the RO and tap water even if they have the same salinity the ph and hardness will be different so these numbers will never be stable. And that isn’t good for anybody in your tank. A 1 gallon jug of RO from the grocery store every week will keep you topped up. Dead fish and coral will cost a lot more. Water balance is a lot more complicated with salt water. I have fresh and salt water fish. Good luck