inTank Media Baskets

32 gallon tank ok for beginner?

SaltWaterNewb

SaltWaterNewb

Not a true beginning since I've had two other (failed) SW tanks before. But since it's been a long time and they were failed attempts...i still consider myself a 99% newb. 

Anyway...I have a 32 gallon rimless tank that currently houses 100's of cherry shrimp and a small school of Cory cats. Thought about grabbing a 40 breeder from Petco on sale and doing a rescape and moving everything to that tank leaving the 32g empty. It's 24x18x18.

So I've been considering giving SW a try again. My first question is, would a tank that size be a good candidate for a SW setup? I'm think something Zoa heavy but with some other pretty beginner friendly corals like maybe some Duncan, leathers, GSP (maybe)... something that gives some motion. Shrimp, maybe a goby and a couple clowns or similar small fish. I have a large tote full of dry live rock from my other two attempts so I'd probably be good on rock. I'd basically need everything else though. 

Or would I be better off with a different tank? Different size, something drilled, AIO...wide open for thoughts and suggestions. TIA for any help. 

SaltWaterNewb

Now that i think of it...i do have an acrylic tank with an overflow that has been banging around my garage for quite a while. I'll have to measure it but it's similar size as the 32g tank. I'd have to leak test it. I had it made years ago but never set it up. 

On 1/12/2023 at 1:07 AM, SaltWaterNewb said:

So I've been considering giving SW a try again.

Pick up a Martin Moe book ("Beginners to Breeders..." is a good start) to give yourself a better shot this time around!  👍

My first question is, would a tank that size be a good candidate for a SW setup?

Bigger is always better for a tank.  

If that's the biggest your space and budget can manage, then it's big enough.

I'm think something Zoa heavy but with some other pretty beginner friendly corals like maybe some Duncan, leathers, GSP (maybe)... something that gives some motion.

I'm not a fan of beginner corals UNLESS you actually like them.  Get the corals you like since they will (if you do it right) be with you for a long time.

I have a large tote full of dry live rock from my other two attempts so I'd probably be good on rock.

Using dead rock instead of live rock doesn't make things any easier on your startup.....consider trading the rock for some REAL live rock.

On 1/12/2023 at 1:14 AM, SaltWaterNewb said:

acrylic tank

Too much algae scraping in a reef tank to use acrylic IMO.  👎

IMO your tank is fine.   Read up some and get some live rock – both will significantly increase your chances of success.  Other things (pumps, lights, etc) you can figure out more easily as you move on with your plan.  👍

BTW, how long ago were your other saltwater tanks?

I think 30 gallons is the perfect size for a new tank. I don't follow bigger is better... I think moderate size is best! It is very easy to be able to reach the rock as needed and do water changes should anything go haywire.

Acrylic is ok... just a bit more care to not scratch it. I have a 8 yr old acrylic tank and I use mr clean original erasers on it to clean it. You may enjoy having a sump to hide your equiptment. 

I would probably pick which ever tank that is wider then it is tall or which ever tank has the best dimensions for coral placement and fish. 

• Like 1

True that "more = better" is not a good strategy in most areas of reefing....please don't make "more = better" the takeaway from my post. 😉 

But it does apply at least to tank size and flow...and probably to bio-diversity too.

Here's an example in case of any misunderstanding:  30 gallons is "better" than 10 gallons.

Nobody is going to recommend that you go with 10 gallons instead of 30.  That's because 30 is better for all the obvious reasons.  If you thought 50 or 75 gallons made sense for your budget, space, and plans, then THAT would be better than 30.

Letting the available space and your budget be the limit on tank size makes a lot of sense in most cases.  

In this case, the limit may be choosing between the tanks you already have.  The biggest one will be the best choice, more or less.  👍

Once you get around/above 125 gallons (the largest standard 18" thick tank), there are some other concerns to think about, like what you can reach in the tank by-hand, without a ladder, without draining down the water level, among other things.

SaltWaterNewb
5 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I'm not a fan of beginner corals UNLESS you actually like them.  Get the corals you like since they will (if you do it right) be with you for a long time.

I actually do. I love the Zoas and leathers and polyps, ect. That's not to say I wouldn't eventually add in some more advanced corals or setup a second tank. I figured if I start with easier to keep soft corals that don't require as much flow or light or pristine tank upkeep...it would allow me to learn and build my system as I go adding more flow and better filtration and getting a better grasp on a maintenance routine that might allow me to have a better chance at a successful more advanced setup.  

Using dead rock instead of live rock doesn't make things any easier on your startup.....consider trading the rock for some REAL live rock.

Figured since I have it, might as well use it. Maybe I'll see if the couple LFS's would take some in trade and if not...I could use some dead rock as a base and get some nice live rock to add to it. 

Too much algae scraping in a reef tank to use acrylic IMO.  👎

Good point. 

BTW, how long ago were your other saltwater tanks?

Maybe 15 years ago.

On the tank size topic...I might pickup a 40 breeder tomorrow since Petco is having one of their sales. I was planning on actually moving the inhabitants of the 32g into the 40b since the shrimp and cory cats would probably appreciate the larger footprint and I like the looks of the rimless 32g tank better so thought it might make for a nicer looking SW setup. But I wouldn't be completely opposed to setting it up SW instead. I might even consider drilling it if I did. I have an empty drilled 120g tank but I plan to set it up FW this year and I think setting up and keeping a SW tank that size won't work for me budget-wise. I'm not in a big hurry so I'm also keeping an eye out for used stuff that might pop up for sale...that's how I got the 120g actually. 

I appreciate the help so far. 

23 hours ago, SaltWaterNewb said:

I figured if I start with easier to keep soft corals that don't require as much flow or light or pristine tank upkeep...it would allow me to learn and build my system as I go adding more flow and better filtration and getting a better grasp on a maintenance routine that might allow me to have a better chance at a successful more advanced setup. 

Strong flow is required for all reefs, and is integral for how corals function.  (google "coral boundary layer")

And coral reefs are NOT pristine.  There are particles in the water all the time.  Corals and algae are growing together EVERYWHERE – even where it only looks like corals from a distance.  Etc.

I only point this out because a lot of folks over the years have screwed up their new tanks trying to make/keep them pristine.  (Don't be fooled by online photos of pristine tanks.  That's grooming for the photo.)

You have the right idea as far as taking your time and building your experience.  But if you're serious, all you need to do is take your time stocking the tank.  Give each coral you buy a few weeks OR MORE to settle in and for your to observe how it settles in and the tank reacts.  This gives you time to make any changes, head off any problems, etc.  That's where you get the time to build your skills...not by keeping "beginner corals". 😉 (Though for your sake, your approach ought to be the same even with beginner corals.)  

Again, if you like those corals becuase you want a tank full of them, that's a whole different thing.  Go for it.  Just don't skimp out on flow.  And don't expect "pristine".

You may not need it, but in case you do, here are some good pics of REAL reefs to get you acclimated AWAY from highly-groomed photos of hobby tanks:

• Like 1