Pod Your Reef

AI Blade

sam_the_reefer

I am glad they are coming out with a bar that is controllable!!! 

Some things I wish they had done:

1. Had more color options for people who don't like blue/purple tanks and want more crisp white

2. Had all the cords go into one larger power supply so all blades would have just 1 cord. This is more of a problem for large tanks that may want 6 blades or such.

There does seem to be some reports of... some issues with build quality unless Telegraham got sent some lemons. This is what he has shown so far:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnS3KLELspd/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnQToxXrtqu/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnTHfl3rdaz/?hl=en

The exposed visible wiring is kind of unacceptable in a marine environment. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I am glad they are coming out with a bar that is controllable!!! 

Some things I wish they had done:

1. Had more color options for people who don't like blue/purple tanks and want more crisp white

2. Had all the cords go into one larger power supply so all blades would have just 1 cord. This is more of a problem for large tanks that may want 6 blades or such.

There does seem to be some reports of... some issues with build quality unless Telegraham got sent some lemons. This is what he has shown so far:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnS3KLELspd/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnQToxXrtqu/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnTHfl3rdaz/?hl=en

The exposed visible wiring is kind of unacceptable in a marine environment. 

Looks like my orpheks are still the winner in PAR category, granted it also a bit "narrow" high intensity zone.

Agree, if I need to cords/sockets to run these, it doesn't make life that much improved.  I can just timer control the outlets, programmable ramping is kinda useless for the "supplement bars".  But if someone is using this instead of, say, a PrimeHD, then the ramp may be a bit more appealing.  

• Agree 3
sam_the_reefer
2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Agree, if I need to cords/sockets to run these, it doesn't make life that much improved.  I can just timer control the outlets, programmable ramping is kinda useless for the "supplement bars".  But if someone is using this instead of, say, a PrimeHD, then the ramp may be a bit more appealing.  

Yup which is exactly my use case. I'm currently using the old Prime HD. The light could be more diffused, but It's still working and my tank is doing very well so I guess I'll stick with it. This will look good on my macroalgae tank though, which is using black box LEDs. 

3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

They do have a freshwater version that's mostly white.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, xellos88 said:

Yup which is exactly my use case. I'm currently using the old Prime HD. The light could be more diffused, but It's still working and my tank is doing very well so I guess I'll stick with it. This will look good on my macroalgae tank though, which is using black box LEDs. 

They do have a freshwater version that's mostly white.

I saw the FW version but don't believe that is ideal way to add white/daylight to a reef.- Plus at the price point... who wants to try and fit/buy 3 just to get a nice visual. 

Orphek I think has 5 choices now and quanta 4 and there are different blends to pick from. 

Hopefully they will add more colors in the future and make Blade 2.0 able to plug into one larger meanwell so we get one plug. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I love how sleek they are. I’m definitely going to get a pair of the smaller size for my new 15g.

my favourite part is how they can rest directly on the tank, girlfriend hates having LED shining in her eyes and spilling out into the living room so this is PERFECT 

• Like 3

Please inspect your blades if you intend to run these on top of your tank/near water. 

Another person posted a pic of a new blade with exposed wires. Not all of them have it but quality control is meh so some being shipped this way. I would contact AI if you get one like this as it could make the light fail prematurely. 

• 3 weeks later...

For the price of the Blades,why don't get a used Radion G4 XR15. Shoot you may be able to find a XR30 for about $300. 

EDIT: For the price I still feel like the ReefBrites are a better choice. 

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
12 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

For the price of the Blades,why don't get a used Radion G4 XR15. Shoot you may be able to find a XR30 for about $300. 

EDIT: For the price I still feel like the ReefBrites are a better choice. 

Yeah but it would not work with the app and I already have a Nero 3, Nero 5 and 2 hydras 32hd so in my case I think I'll go with blades.

• Like 1

Technically all of that is controllable with Mobius. 

However I can see the logic of staying within an ecosystem. I did it with Ecotech and it’s quite convenient having it all in one app, one customer service line, one system of logic/design to follow, etc. 

I think the blade is a super cool light. Especially at the various sizes. That’s what makes this product so unique and adaptable. Radion just has “add another logic” where as the blades have a more adaptable way to light the tank. 

if I had a fuge, I’d get the fuge light 100%. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

how are these blades, specifically the coral grow one at producing shimmer?  im just now starting a 5g build and looking at lighting options including things like the kessil A80...but i definitely prefer the form factor of these to a high up spotlight...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the grow and my first impressions are pretty good. I'm not seeing the led problem but I have not had a chance to really look closely at it since the install yesterday.   I am really liking no shadows but I have the option to add another down the road if needed or 2 more 😂

I just recently got one Coral Grow for my macroalgae tank and one Freshwater for my planted tank. I was having the issue with the LEDs on the Grow, and decided I'd rather go with a Freshwater anyway since I like how it will look more on the macro tank. I reached out to AI for a warranty claim and mentioned this, and they offered to swap it for the FW Blade as a one time courtesy. I should have it soon!

On 9/12/2023 at 7:11 PM, schgr.cube said:

I just recently got one Coral Grow for my macroalgae tank and one Freshwater for my planted tank. I was having the issue with the LEDs on the Grow, and decided I'd rather go with a Freshwater anyway since I like how it will look more on the macro tank. I reached out to AI for a warranty claim and mentioned this, and they offered to swap it for the FW Blade as a one time courtesy. I should have it soon!

Could you please post a picture of your fresh water light over the macro tank? I’m actually starting a new mixed reef, but planning to leave some of the macroalgae from the Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock in there with the coral. I currently have a grow, and a glow, but I’ve been thinking about adding a freshwater along with it, so that I can make the macroalgae pop a bit more.

41 minutes ago, rsaylor3 said:

Could you please post a picture of your fresh water light over the macro tank? I’m actually starting a new mixed reef, but planning to leave some of the macroalgae from the Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock in there with the coral. I currently have a grow, and a glow, but I’ve been thinking about adding a freshwater along with it, so that I can make the macroalgae pop a bit more.

Sure, but I don't actually have anything in the tank besides rock yet. I literally just set it up recently, but I can at least show you how the color spectrum looks. I put some rock in from an existing tank, so I should be stocking it soon, I just want to give it a little time to make sure it is stable.

UNS45u-0015.thumb.jpg.4034865b498a64837fe4817d6f0a9eb8.jpg

Light on tank.

UNS45u-0014.thumb.jpg.d7f1f97b54ea7e7ed4e116888f3973ec.jpg

Light mounted before tank was added.

UNS45u-0013.thumb.jpg.4420d1681c9aa60a4f2404a26db21dae.jpg

Bonus shot of light mount using metal conduit.

• Like 2

Thanks bud! I prefer a more white tank, with just enough blue to make it pop a bit. Thinking having all three will give me all the options I need to make it look just right! Can’t wait to see your macro under that light!

• Like 1