Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clown or no clown?!

nanoman4

I've been asking around various nano-reefing places. There are many who have succesfully kept a single percula or ocellaris clown in a MB7 for a long time, still others strongly advise against it and say the clown will be unhappy

Well, I love the percula/ocellaris clownfish I desperatly want one for my minibow 7. However, if the fish will be unhappy (I'm buying him tiny but at full size) then I will consider other options like a purple firefish, there cool too. But I can't resist the wiggling swim of those clowns.

What do you guys think about a single clownfish in the MB7 as the only fish, can he be happy in my setup?

Here are some tank specs:

Minibow 7 tank

AC500 stuffed with 4 pounds Premium aquatics LR rubble and chaeto algae

Aquaclear 20 powerhead

32watt PC retro (plan to keep easy softies only) and LED moonlight

50watt marineland neptune heater

8 pounds premium aquatics "nano" marshall and kaelini LR

10 pounds natures ocean LS

Once a week 1 gallon water change (15%) and feeding 2-3 times a week.

I would think that you could get away with having one clown in the tank. But you would not be able to keep anything else. Also don't expect it to reach full mature size in your nano, this may also cause a shortened life.

My (brief) experience with clowns are that they really prefer company. First I had only one and he seemed really depressed. two weeks later i bought a second perc and the first one got really happy!! They are almost always together.

Why not buy a little bigger bath tub and have two clowns? Much more entertaining to watch....

Can he be happy in your mb? Doubt it!

Archived