Pod Your Reef

32 Gallon led biocube

boom1000

It's finished cycling.  I upgraded the lights to steves leds.  I got the newer protein skimmer.  The one without the airstone. It's not great but it pulls out some gunk.  Worth 50 bucks.  Got it dialed in finally.

What do you guys use to keep the water nice and clean?  I do 5 gallon water changes a week.  I don't want to chop up the hood or anything like that.  This tank will have LPS and softies as far as corals.  Jawfish, gobies, small fish like that.  Also any ideas for something I can keep in it that will stir up the sand bed?

Thanks for any help.

Hi there! Congrats on the new tank… I love Biocubes myself, though I am partial to the stock lights and don’t have any experience with the Steve’s LEDs… how do you like them so far? 

Five gallons is about what I do in my 32. I use filter floss, Chemipure Elite, and Purigen, plus the same skimmer you’re using and I also have matrix media in a media bag in the middle chamber. I stir/siphon my sand during water changes and keep nassarius snails for stirring things up as well. 

Ah ok.  Thanks for the info. You just put them each in a bag, in the second chamber?  How long do you go between changing them out?

Steves leds are awesome.  Easy to install and minimal alterations to the hood.  The stock lights were too white for me.  If you are in need of replacement leds for your biocube hit me up lol.

Thanks for the help.  I appreciate it. 

I typically use the 25 gallon chemipure elite and the purigen that’s made for up to 100 gallons… I try to replace them per the manufacturer instructions.

I like the white lights because they photograph really well… but I do specifically choose corals that look good under whites (my LFS adjusts the lighting for me temporarily to check out how things look). Glad to hear you like the Steve’s.