Top Shelf Aquatics

Skimmer Fits Under Hood of Cube

Moa

The only thing I had to watch for with the fan vent was just having the plumbing to the pump not go to high over the barrier between compartments 1 and 2. I've also added a pretty large clump of chaeto behind my live rock in the tank. It's not too visible. With the chaeto and the skimmer my tank has never looked better and everything is thriving. Best of luck, zakurie.

any way of making this thing fit a dx without cutting the hood? in the original tread utr said you could cut the bottom off. so all you really need is th injector assembly and collecion area. is there any way to keep it low enough to fit under the hood?

i haven't seen a deluxe hood but you just need some riser area from the water level in order to let the foam get a little dry before it spills over. if you have some space above the water level then it seems like it might be possible. . . .

Anyone tried it on a deluxe yet?

ok i determined that the max height that the dx can accomodate is 12.5 inches and still have it fit under the hood. now on mine i have removed the first wall and and made a fuge with 1.25 inches of sand at the bottom. my question is so you think it would be possible to make a skimmer of this design thast has a max height of 11.25 inches. what kinds of alterations to the original plans do you forsee? water level? riser height? injector diameter? hole sizes?

i think the prob would be the height from the water. the height from the water level to the max height of your skimmer is basically the riser area. i don't know if that short distance will be enough. perhaps moving the sand out would give you the extra 1" or so? Perhaps a HOB might be the way to go . . . . UTR might have some more sage advice to share too.

ok i made a design based on a 8.5" water level in the sump area. i cut out the pieces this weekend and am waiting for weldon to come in. then i will asemble it and test it i think i am going to use a 60 gph pump i have lying around or should i use the stock cube pump (i uped it to a mini jet 606). what do you think

Moa,

How are you removing the skimmate? Is your drain on the same side as the injector elbow? Will the stuff still drain if you run the hose uphill and out the back?

Also, why did you leave the bottom off? Do you still use the return outlet?

Thanks

Doug

rdelri,

I've found that the stock pump on output tends to be too much (~100gph). I think it's trial and error but the 60gph pump may be fine.

nano4kids,

i'm removing the skimmate with air tubing that fits in the hole in the skimmate collector--just like the UTR design. the skimmate collector lip is just slightly higher than the lip of the cube so it doesn't tend to drain until the skimmate level gets a little higher.

I left the bottom off so i didn't have to worry about air keeping the skimmer floating in the sump area. it's also just one more step that you don't have to worry about. the skimmer for the back of the cube doesn't have to be perfectly watertight either as the only place it'll leak is back in the sump area. I do use the return outlet. it's just a hole that faces toward the back of the skimmer.

HTH and good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived