Pod Your Reef

which salt is better?

bbkid43

I have used both, and personally I like Oceanic better. It dissolves almost instantly and my corals really seem to love the stuff. Only a 1.5 gallon watter change a week, dont need to add any addatives.

Well, Oceanic is the primary salt used at "That Fish Place" in Penn. Ive have seen the empty tubs there, so i know its not just BS for marketing. An aquarium store that large wouldnt use crap salt in god knows how many thousands of gallons of water. They would need a salt that would hold up it's mineral content reasonably well over a large period of time. I dont even want to think about how much it would cost in additives for a system that large if they didnt use a high grade salt. I highly reccomend it over reef crystals, instant ocean, coralife, and red sea. I have never used tropic marin, so I wont say anything about that brand, lol.

I like my oceanic because it has high calcium levels.... but it mixes with a really low alkalinity.... which is begining to cause more trouble then i want to put up with.... We'll see if aggressive buffering will help. Hopefully it will

I definitly agree with format32, my shrooms and zoos look much better now that I've been doing water changes with catalina sea water. And the best part is that it is EASY!!! No salts to mix and no trace elements to dose. Just pour in REAL ocean water. Its a little pricy for water, but for maintaining a 10 gallon tank its not that bad- 5 gallons is 10 bucks. I use a gallon a week so thats only $8 a month. Its worth it for the water quality and convenience.

You know I read alot of positive things about oceanic on this web site. I was at my LFS and saw they had it in stock and asked about it. They told me it was garbage and that they had some bad feedback about the product and that they werent going to carry it any more. They told me to stick to Tropic Marin. I have had very good results with Marin since I chaged from IO. But Im starting to wonder if they were being genuine about there experience with Oceanic.

the only thing that would make oceanic the perfect salt would be if it's buffering was up to snuff. I too have to add powdered buffer, but i have it at 4.5 meqs right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Oceanic here

Ca 500+ (Salifert)

Alk 10.3 (Salifert)

No buffer added, I would be weary of LFS advice, for obvious reasons, the best thing to do is try it yourself i think. I give it a thumbs up

I switched from Oceanic to Bio Sea Marinemix, which is made by the same people as Marine Environment. But after going through a 50g bag of Bio Sea, I'm back on Oceanic. Both the calcium AND alkalinity was too long with Bio Sea. At least with Oceanic, the calcium is high, but the Alk is at natural seawater levels. Easy to fix.

Originally posted by trmiv

I switched from Oceanic to Bio Sea Marinemix, which is made by the same people as Marine Environment.  But after going through a 50g bag of Bio Sea, I'm back on Oceanic.  Both the calcium AND alkalinity was too long with Bio Sea.  At least with Oceanic, the calcium is high, but the Alk is at natural seawater levels.  Easy to fix.

What do you use to fix that?

Geez, does this thread pop up on a weekly basis or what? :)

I've used both IO and currently Oceanic. I'm quite happy with both, but sticking to Oceanic for now.

Archived