Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Aiptasia for beginners??

BubbleTrouble

Use crazy glue made for attaching corals to rocks and cover it with it. Then use the thick epoxy that is made for putting rocks together and cover it with it. The idea is to prevent any food or light to get to it. 

12 hours ago, BubbleTrouble said:

Found a big ol aiptasia hiding under some grape macro algae, it was on one piece of rock so I threw it out. I noticed another tiny small aiptasia growing on a newer zoa frag. What do I do???? 

if you want them you can let them be, but generally they are a pest and get invasive. I've had some come in on frags and they bother the coral in the past. 

I've had good experience using Red Sea's Aiptasia X. you basically just put it on its mouth and they will die and dissolve. its a little pricey but it worked without issue for me and was simple to use. 

Hope this helps!

• Agree 1

Use aptasia x and also super glue gel to smother the more stubborn/larger aptasia. If you found one, likely there are many more hiding…stay on top of killing them, they can get out of control and sting/bother other corals. 

in the future remove coral frags from the plugs and any rock you introduce to help avoid adding them into your tank. Better would be a simple and small frag/hospital tank to catch them before they go into your display. 🤞 

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

this is why you dip corals before adding them lol 

But any coral dip that will kill aiptasia will also kill the coral. 

3 hours ago, Tired said:

But any coral dip that will kill aiptasia will also kill the coral.

Good point. Scraping the base of the frag plug or rock is probably the only way to get them off before dipping. I watched a video on it once. Guy was using something that looked like a dental scraper to get all of the organics off the plug. Then he would dip them.

Nope. Injecting them with peroxide will kill them (though I'm not sure if it will do it without them spreading), but any irritant or poison (since that's what a dip is, really) strong enough to damage aiptasia is more than strong enough to damage the corals they're attached to. The little buggers are cnidarians, after all, like our corals. 

• Agree 1
InAtTheDeepEnd
On 4/15/2023 at 2:49 PM, Tired said:

Nope. Injecting them with peroxide will kill them (though I'm not sure if it will do it without them spreading), but any irritant or poison (since that's what a dip is, really) strong enough to damage aiptasia is more than strong enough to damage the corals they're attached to. The little buggers are cnidarians, after all, like our corals. 

ahhhh ok, thanks for clarifying, must admit I don't know much about aiptasia except I don't like em.....!