Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Going out of town, need CUC advice.

Gsepanik

My tank is beginning to go through the ugly stages post cycle. I have about 8 frags in it and a couple of clowns. I’m about to leave for Texas for 4 days and of course, my diatom bloom has come back. I’m doing a water change tonight and only have a couple hermits in there. Should I pick up a few snails before I leave to thwart any potential algae growth from getting worse, or should I just do my water change and address the issue when I return ? More information in my journal if needed. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gsepanik said:

My tank is beginning to go through the ugly stages post cycle. I have about 8 frags in it and a couple of clowns. I’m about to leave for Texas for 4 days and of course, my diatom bloom has come back. I’m doing a water change tonight and only have a couple hermits in there. Should I pick up a few snails before I leave to thwart any potential algae growth from getting worse, or should I just do my water change and address the issue when I return ? More information in my journal if needed. 

If you need snails then it certainly won’t hurt but I’d just do your water change and go. Diatoms will burn themselves out eventually anyway. 

• Like 1

Diatoms are certainly the "shape of things to come".  

If you have fish but no cleanup crew, then you're already "upside down" on the balancing act.  

Add a few before you go.  Stick with herbivore snails for now. 👍

30 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Diatoms are certainly the "shape of things to come".  

If you have fish but no cleanup crew, then you're already "upside down" on the balancing act.  

Add a few before you go.  Stick with herbivore snails for now. 👍

I added a couple hermits but I was waiting till I had some substantial food source before adding a real CUC. I guess that time has come 

17 minutes ago, Gsepanik said:

I added a couple hermits but I was waiting till I had some substantial food source before adding a real CUC. I guess that time has come 

Hermits may eat some algae, but they are scavengers at heart.

You have to feed clownfish, of course. 😉  And every amount of food you add at the beginning is substantial....so "that time" was around the same time you added the fish, or even a little before.  

The tank could definitely use a few herbivores.  A "big and small" mix would be nice....eg Turbo's and Ceriths.  Not sure what size tank you have so I can't tell you how many to start with....but 3-4 would be fine if it's a "small" tank.

Don't over do it though...you can definitely have too many cleanup crew.  Add a few, then see how it goes.  Add a few more if it seems necessary, and see how it goes again.  Repeat until it seems like they are keeping things clean and you don't have as much cleaning to do.  👍

• Thanks 1