inTank Media Baskets

how do I fix this coral?

sadie

I moved my wavemaker down a bit to get more flow on the sand bed and my pulsing xenia came half off it's plug.  I moved it to a lower flow area and it was fine, but then I saw it tiped over.  

What can I do to fix it?

DSC_0368.JPG

If it isn't blowing around, it's probably fine.  It should eventually fully re-attach to the rock.  Although pieces of Xenia often break off and attach somewhere else.  Because of this, it's sometimes hard to limit Xenia to one particular rock.

10 minutes ago, seabass said:

If it isn't blowing around, it's probably fine.  It should eventually fully re-attach to the rock.  Although pieces of Xenia often break off and attach somewhere else.  Because of this, it's sometimes hard to limit Xenia to one particular rock.

okay.  I have one of those feeding towers with the holes in the top.  I'm not sure if the xenia is taller then the tube, but I was thinking I could put that over the xenia until it does fully attach (if it's not too short).  I just added 6 turbos and they're kinda big.  I'm afraid one of those might push it right off the plug.

I put the tower over it and it looks good.  It's standing upright, but not really moving.  Good thing I just moved things around in my tank! 😆  There wouldn't have been room for the tower this morning. 

How long do you think it will take to reattach?

2 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Just glue it back on the plug. I hate plugs so I would probable glue it to a small peice of rock or rubble.

I have not had good luck with gluing leathers to anything and the xenia, though not a leather, looks like it has a very similar base.  I guess I could try it though.

Sometimes I like the plugs cause you can squeeze them in little holes, and sometimes they are a pain the butt!!  I hate the disks, you can't do much with those.  If you try to glue them to the rock they look like a crashed flyine saucer!

• Haha 1
Harrisonbored

My experience has been that Xenia prefer to be off of the sand. They will tolerate it for a time, but eventually run. Its whole goal is to tumble in the current till it wedges

itself against a rock formation, then proceed to colonize the rock. Eventually it will drop off branches of itself to tumble and the whole process continues till your tank is covered #Nano-Reno

So I'm doubtful your pump caused it to release, it was most likely already planning to. You can try to have it reattach like you're doing but it will eventually run again.

My opinion is rehome it.  If you are dead set on it keeping it then at least raise it up off the sand on it's own rock formation. That will buy you some time.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

In addition to the above, I also don't think the coral is going to be happy for more than a few minutes being covered up.....it restricts their flow which is what directly controls their respiration, among other things.  

See:  "coral boundary layer"

image.png.4fa94686be7365e63b0e7dfba2b10287.png

From: https://reefs.com/magazine/how-to-grow-corals-quicker-part-ii-combined-effects-of-water-velocity-and-alkalinity-concentrations/

11 hours ago, mcarroll said:

In addition to the above, I also don't think the coral is going to be happy for more than a few minutes being covered up.....it restricts their flow which is what directly controls their respiration, among other things.  

See:  "coral boundary layer"

image.png.4fa94686be7365e63b0e7dfba2b10287.png

From: https://reefs.com/magazine/how-to-grow-corals-quicker-part-ii-combined-effects-of-water-velocity-and-alkalinity-concentrations/

there are holes in the top of the tube.  It gets some flow, just not a ton.  It seems to be happy.  Here is a pic of yesterday and one today

DSC_0373.JPG

DSC_0374.JPG

• Like 1

I am going to think about rehoming it...I had one a couple years back that did REALLY well in my tank and I loved it.  It spread to the glass and was easy to scrape off and trade.  It just started dropping branches throughout the tank then it shriveled and died (I can't remember if that was when I had the bad lights or 0 nutrients).  I was thinking then that I didn't want a ton of those in my tank, but I can't help it, they are so cool I got another one.

I will wait till it attaches back to the plug before I make my decision.

• Like 1