Cultivated Reef

Acropora ID

gio14

• 3 weeks later...

unfortuantely this is the from above but this is the only pic I took before "fragging" it... it was unintentional, I managed to break it in 4 pieces🤬🤬

luckily the acro seems to have reacted fine (no problems) so far on this incident. If it is of any help, the colony seems to grow vertically, so I tend to exclude hyacinthus

20221031-161302.jpg

5 hours ago, gio14 said:

If it is of any help, the colony seems to grow vertically, so I tend to exclude hyacinthus

I can't give you an ID, but hopefully others will chime in too.  

But I will add:  Flow and lighting conditions dictate growth to a large degree, so IMO those aspects are hard to judge by on a colony that small.

Whatever type it is, it looks great in the photo – looks very happy!!!  👍

2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Whatever type it is, it looks great in the photo – looks very happy!!!  👍

2 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

I'm starting to think its a unhappy colony of PC Rainbow. 

I'm starting to think you only said that to contradict me!   LOL

But seriously, you know more than a photo could possibly convey.

Is there a reason you'd say that it's unhappy despite appearances to the contrary?  

17 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

I'm starting to think you only said that to contradict me!   LOL

But seriously, you know more than a photo could possibly convey.

Is there a reason you'd say that it's unhappy despite appearances to the contrary?  

Don't go thinking too hard into it. If you zoom in on the bottom 3rd of the colony,almost all the polyps are retracted and the flesh around the corallites looks pale/whiteish. PC Rainbow is one of those corals that is pretty damn hard to make unhappy,besides the retracted polyps and flesh discoloration the color is good. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Don't go thinking too hard into it.

😉 

14 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

If you zoom in on the bottom 3rd of the colony,almost all the polyps are retracted and the flesh around the corallites looks pale/whiteish. PC Rainbow is one of those corals that is pretty damn hard to make unhappy,besides the retracted polyps and flesh discoloration the color is good. 

That sounds like maybe PO4 is too low?  Unless you think a neighbor may be stinging his base – he has some capable neighbors from the looks of it.

The flip side of nutrient levels is flow (flow = access)....so they sorta need to be considered together.

Any chance you think the tank could use more flow?  Or maybe this coral in particular?

If you think that makes any sense then...

IMO he looks like a very high energy/high flow coral nestled in a valley between two corals that would get shredded by the flow that this Acro would really appreciate.

Also if he's sorta new, that could simply be him recovering from damage during handling.  Between the sale and mounting, there's usually a LOT of handling....and Acros have very thin skin, easy to damage in this way.  (Nutrients and flow will be EXTRA appreciated if this is the case.)

Just some thoughts!  🙂 

2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

😉

That sounds like maybe PO4 is too low?  Unless you think a neighbor may be stinging his base – he has some capable neighbors from the looks of it.

The flip side of nutrient levels is flow (flow = access)....so they sorta need to be considered together.

Any chance you think the tank could use more flow?  Or maybe this coral in particular?

IMO he looks like a very high energy/high flow coral nestled in a valley between two corals that would get shredded by the flow that this Acro would really appreciate.

Also if he's sorta new, that could simply be him recovering from damage during handling.  Between the sale and mounting, there's usually a LOT of handling....and Acros have very thin skin, easy to damage in this way.  (Nutrients and flow will be EXTRA appreciated if this is the case.)

Just some thoughts!  🙂 

I don't know because I don't know the OP's parameters. It could be low trace elements. K,F,I,Cal,Mag,Alk or everything could be low for all we know. 

Does look to be tucked off is a lower flow area. The Goni or the anemone all could be bothering it. Idk what pumps or circulation OP ia using,along with lighting and or schedule is. 

Also,by the looks of it that "plug" its more than likely a recently brought in mariculture piece. Which welp.we alp know the success/mortailty rate is pretty low. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mcarroll said:

😉

Just some thoughts!  🙂 

well, that was the temporary position to "acclimate", now the coral is far from any coral and in a much higher light and flow area. I will try to add a picture with the new position.

Regarding nutrients, you are correct, my PO4 are steadily at 0 (hanna checker), I'm working on increasing them (tried to dose daily nyos po4, but I think this is not the best approach)