Top Shelf Aquatics

Any way to make Gamma more active

Blind Tree Frog

Blind Tree Frog

Pretty much what the title says. I've recently acquired a Royal Gamma. It's a 10 gallon, so he will be staying the only fish in the tank for a while (Toying with the idea of picking up one and only one more at a later date, but probably not). He's currently staying hidden in a rock. Last couple of days he might come out for a couple inches, but never very far nor for very long. Since I rearranged some of the rocks today, I don't expect to see him leave his hole for a bit.

But aside from just waiting a week for him to get comfortable (without me rearranging things), is there any other way to get him to be more active?

Cute little fish though.

Blind Tree Frog

A LFS had an interesting idea to get their purple firefish out of hiding more. 2 small Percula's in the nano-cube with him. Since they are going to swim around regardless, they claimed that the fire fish felt safer coming out since there were other fish out too.

wonder if my 10 gallon can handle the load of a second fish (or a pair of fish if small enough) to make the Gamma more social (While it's still small and not too big for the tank)

I have a green clown goby in a 10 with a gramma. The goby hides quite a bit, but the gramma is out a lot. Of course, I saw quite a bit of him even before I put the goby in. I think a clownfish would be pushing the bio-load a bit.

Blind Tree Frog

Perhaps. I've got a seaclone 100 at home I could clean up and toss in if I wanted, but i don't really want the pump in my tank. That should take care of the bioload issues though.

But something small and out a lot might be nice just for some extra color. The Gramma is starting to come out more, though at the rate he's going, by the time he's usually out, he'll probably juts be too large for all of the good hiding places.

Blind Tree Frog

How about a Red Head Goby (if I can find one anywhere)?

Shold be small enough and have a low enough bioload impact to not cause any great problems. Appears from what I'm seeing to swim around and be in the spot light mostly.... so it might pull the Gramma out some.... Anything I'm missing here.

Blind Tree Frog

there is an auto feeder tossing in dry food once every 12 hours or so. Plus enough pods to seemingly keep him happy. He's getting bolder though, so we'll see.

consider rearranging the rocks? They tend to be bottom dwelling types and enjoy cover.

I notice that when I have cave like hiding spots around the mid and upper area the fish is more likely to come out...

• 4 weeks later...

I believe they are in the basslet family and they like low lighting and a fairly deep swimming fish. I have the same fear with my gamma. I think the lights in a nano are pretty intense for the gamma. But I am a newbe only 4 month so take it for what it is worth.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine spent most of his time in hiding until I added a big pile of live rock to my tank. He immediately staked claim to a little cave in the front of the rockwork where he could build a nest, and now spends almost all of his time out in the open. I really wish he'd stop picking all of my mermaid's cup to decorate his flat with, though. :happy:

Archived