Coral Vue Hydros

gsp polyps not opening

Amnemonemomne

Amnemonemomne

hello, I've had gsp growing but all of a sudden some of the polyps aren't opening. I assumed it was because they had something covering the polyp and so i used a turkey baster to blow off whatever was on but still no opening. Gsp is super hardy, so I don't think its water parameters.

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/1/2022 at 5:16 PM, Amnemonemomne said:

Gsp is super hardy, so I don't think its water parameters.

Yes, they are quite hardy.  However, they also need good nutrient levels (phosphate and nitrate).  I'd suggest at least 0.05 ppm of phosphate, and 5 ppm of nitrate.  Do you happen to know what these levels are in your tank?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
12 hours ago, seabass said:

Yes, they are quite hardy.  However, they also need good nutrient levels (phosphate and nitrate).  I'd suggest at least 0.05 ppm of phosphate, and 5 ppm of nitrate. 

Agree, 

GSP was one of my first corals and it was dormant for months on a low nutrient tank until I raised the nutrient levels through adding a fish and dosing neophos.  

The good news is they don't die off during those low parameter periods.  They just don't open their polyps.

• Like 3
Amnemonemomne
On 11/30/2022 at 7:20 PM, ReefGuard Systems said:

I've found GSP really like consistent flow. Any flow changes recently?

I added a sicce flow pump to the top right corner of the tank, it helped a little a few polyps opened but I changed the little and now all the polyps are open (lighting needed to be brighter

Amnemonemomne
On 11/30/2022 at 7:20 PM, ReefGuard Systems said:

I've found GSP really like consistent flow. Any flow changes recently?

I added a sicce voyager nano to the top right corner and it helped a bit, a few polyps opened up after the addition