SaltCritters.com

Best Test Kit

ChilledReefer

ChilledReefer

Ok so I really want to know if the Hannah Checker test kits are worth it or if the reefing community has another one that will work well. I need all the basics so I'm looking to get a better setup than the current glass test tube master kit I have now. 

Thanks for the help, 

It really depends on the parameter that you are testing.  Hanna has a decent reputation for phosphate and alkalinity.  Some say their other checkers aren't worth it.

Everyone has their own personal preferences; but for me:

• ammonia: API
  • pH: usually not important to test unless doing something which changes pH (like using a calcium reactor, or dosing Kalkwasser)
  • nitrite: none (not important to test)
  • nitrate: Salifert
  • phosphate: Hanna, but Salifert is acceptable
  • alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium: Salifert

Note: API's phosphate test kit is a high range kit which can't detect typical reef tank levels; and their alkalinity test lacks the resolution that most people usually like to manage stability.

• Like 1

Red Sea has the Marine Care kit for $70. Has PH,Ammonia,Nitrates,Nitrites,Alk. So all you would need is phosphate,calcium,magnesium. I usually only use the Marine care kit,and Salifert for Mag,Calc and Phosphates. 

• 2 weeks later...
ChilledReefer
On 10/26/2022 at 4:48 PM, Reefkid88 said:

Red Sea has the Marine Care kit for $70. Has PH,Ammonia,Nitrates,Nitrites,Alk. So all you would need is phosphate,calcium,magnesium. I usually only use the Marine care kit,and Salifert for Mag,Calc and Phosphates. 

Thanks, I bought some of the Salifert kits.  My LFS sells Red Sea products so I'll look at those next time im in the store. 

On 11/4/2022 at 12:32 PM, ChilledReefer said:

Thanks, I bought some of the Salifert kits.  My LFS sells Red Sea products so I'll look at those next time im in the store. 

I've always been fairly partial to Salifert – very easy to use IMO, as long as you can find them for sale.  (Supply has been an on-and-off problem....seems mostly better these days tho.)

Red Sea's kits used to be about the same as API's, but their current kits seem better according to reviews.

I've had good luck with SeaChem's tests, if those are available where you are.  The company provides great support for them too, if needed.  (I got some support and free reagents when I was trying to test and dose for Iodine.  Good experiment.  Not something I still dose tho.)

• Like 1
ChilledReefer
On 11/6/2022 at 1:20 AM, mcarroll said:

I've always been fairly partial to Salifert – very easy to use IMO, as long as you can find them for sale.  (Supply has been an on-and-off problem....seems mostly better these days tho.)

Red Sea's kits used to be about the same as API's, but their current kits seem better according to reviews.

I've had good luck with SeaChem's tests, if those are available where you are.  The company provides great support for them too, if needed.  (I got some support and free reagents when I was trying to test and dose for Iodine.  Good experiment.  Not something I still dose tho.)

Thanks, I've been able to get Cal, Mag, Alk, Phos, PH, and Nitrate Salifert kits online.  I'm using the API for Ammonia and Nitrite 

• Like 2