Coral Vue Hydros

? on star fish ID

sadie

I looked in the ID section to see if they had pictures of asteriniid star fish.  I have had many of those stars without a problem.  They kinda come and go.  I have this one starfish that i thought was an asterinid, but it's getting bigger than any I have had in the past, and it's getting some color.  The ones I usually have stay all white to kinda gray. 

It mentions in the ID section that some species might eat coral and it shows a picture.  The one in the picture looks like the one I have.  I don't know if I should get rid of it or keep it.

Here's a picture of the one in my tank. I have some what of a close up then one with my fish so you can see the size of the starfish.

any advice is greatly appreciated. 

thanks

DSC_0270.JPG

DSC_0271.JPG

It is an asterina star.  I'm not sure if it would ever eat your coral or not.  Generally, I feel they are harmless (eating coralline and other algae).  But there are enough reports to make me wonder.  If you have any question about being a positive match to a coral eater, then maybe error on the side of removing it.

14 minutes ago, sadie said:

I wonder if PetCo would take it as a surender.

They might.  Anyways, it couldn't hurt to ask.  If they're knowledgeable, they shouldn't be too worried about it.

• Like 1