Coral Vue Hydros

Realistic # of fish in 75 gallon

chasingcorals17

chasingcorals17

Setting up a 75 with either a 20 gallon or 40 gallon sump. Here's the stock list I have 

2 ocellaris

1 yellow watchman 

2 firefish

1 gramma

1 wrasse

1 foxface

I want to add:

1 blue tang (Yes im aware it will outgrow the 75)

1 blue throat trigger (Yes im aware it can outgrow the 75 although they can comfortably fit in 75)

1 tomini tang 

So all together 11 fish with relatively good nutrient export and husbandry. Currently in my 40 gallon the SPS are thriving with 15ppm Nitrate but I want to go bigger to house the tangs/trigger. So the main question is, is this overstocked, about average or could I go slightly more? Without sounding too harsh, I'd love first hand experience answers and genuine input without the fish police lecturing me 😉 

7 hours ago, chasingcorals17 said:

Without sounding too harsh, I'd love first hand experience answers and genuine input without the fish police lecturing me 😉 

I want to give you first hand experience and genuine input, but based on your expectation I think it's gonna sound fish police-y.  So I'm confused how to answer.  Do you only want folks to encourage what you're doing, or...?

I'll take a stab at an answer anyway.  Hopefully you take it ok.

2 ocellaris

1 yellow watchman 

2 firefish

1 gramma

1 wrasse

1 foxface

This could already be a pretty good list for a 75.  

Be more specific about the clowns and wrasse you want to add.  For example, a pair of Clarkii's would fill up the whole tank.

1 blue throat trigger (Yes im aware it can outgrow the 75 although they can comfortably fit in 75)

1 tomini tang 

This tank is the smallest possible size of tank to consider for all three of these fish.  Same goes for the Foxface in the list above.

Fish don't prefer the smallest size house possible any more than you would.

Surprise!  Here's your new house:

image.thumb.png.f00b82def287ed155c19583789dc889b.png

I'm going to send three roommates to live in there with you, BTW.  One of them will be a BIG dude.  Have fun!!  😈

In most cases like your 75 Gallon, adding any of those big fish on your second list (let alone all of them) can be asking for trouble.

You have stated your awareness of one of the problems with fish on the second list.  (There is more than one problem, but before getting into that...)

What is the idea of considering these last three fish regardless of what you already know to the contrary about them?  I assume there is as idea behind it or there'd be no post.  🙂 

IMO, your first list with the Foxface is good.  The Foxface is a nice fish – and it could be happy in that tank with those other fish and some corals.  Tight, but not too crowded.  Of course I'd suggest AT LEAST upgrading this to a 90 Gallon.  Same footprint as the 75, but taller.

Adding anything from the second fish list seems ill-fated.  

If you are willing to substitute for the Foxface, then then Tomini would be my suggestion out of the second list.  Personally I think I like the Foxface better...tough call though.

Last question:  Why not do a 125 Gallon setup and do the list of fish you want?  125 Complete Setups seem cheap these days at Petsmart.  Do it as an AIO (all in one) like my 125 if you want.  👍😉 Just a thought!  🙂 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
chasingcorals17

Oh man I didn’t mean to come off rude. Very sorry, but I read a lot on here and people seem to derail the thread with policing haha. 

Anywho, the reason for not going bigger than 75 is due to space and the fact that I have the 75 tank already. Which the current stock list in a 40 which will be brought over to the 75. I was hoping to add the three bigger fish but after hearing your analogy to three roommates I’ll have to reconsider. 

An AIO 125 sounds insane to wrap my mind around. 

What problems wound be present if adding the tangs and trigger to the 75 with good husbandry and proper care? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, chasingcorals17 said:

An AIO 125 sounds insane to wrap my mind around. 

I don't have the greatest Journal thread or anything, but you can check mine out to get at lease some idea of a AIO 125 Gallon.  

15 hours ago, chasingcorals17 said:

2 ocellaris

1 yellow watchman 

2 firefish

1 gramma

1 wrasse

1 fox-face

So I think I misread this earlier.....you already have these fish coming over from an older tank?  If so, what kind of Clowns and how old/big?  Also, how big is the Foxface?

4 hours ago, chasingcorals17 said:

What problems wound be present if adding the tangs and trigger to the 75 with good husbandry and proper care? 

You pointed out at least one problem already – they will outgrow the tank.  Also true of the Foxface that it sounds like you may already have.  (FYI, Liveaquaria even calls 6' the minimum for the Foxface.)

What is your plan to handle that?

There's also the question of what you meant by proper husbandry and care.  I know what *I* mean by those terms.  You know what *you* mean.  It's not likely we would spout the same words if someone asked us what they meant though. 😉  So what would they mean to you?

So what do you mean when you say good husbandry and proper care?

For me, the bigger fish being listed wouldn't even be considered for a smallish 4' tank – easy decision to me; just good husbandry.  

I also like keeping a tank stocked to a low fish density so that there's a ton of EXTRA free space for each fish, so much as that's possible in our little tanks.  That's good husbandry.  

Higher density of fish is (statistically speaking) strongly associated with having more problems with them, across the board, in every way AND it makes the problems you will have, even worse problems.  This is particularly true of disease.

Just for example, my 125 Gallon has two fish (eventually 5" and 8") and a porcelain crab.  I could add more, but it's been that way for years now...and it was a no-fish system for MANY years before this crew of fish arrived.  These fish were only added after I upgraded from 3' tanks to this 6' tank.   3' is teeny tiny.  I did have Barnacle Bennies in there for a while one time, but they only live a few years.  AWESOME fish.  That's one that I'd love to hear about someone breeding in captivity!! 

16 hours ago, chasingcorals17 said:

As for the Blue Tang, their problems are well known and probably UNDERSTATED if anything.  It's no exaggeration – they have a shallow resistance to stress innately compared to most other fish we mess with.  Even a large home aquarium is small to them...so there's no real room, ecologically speaking, for them to go in a smaller tank on anything but a temporary basis.  Check out the article I have linked on my blog: Red fish, blue fish: trade-offs between pigmentation and immunity in Betta splendens. Just imagine they're talking about Clowns (Red) and Blue Tangs (Blue).....same concerns are at play; explains to a tee one of the main reasons that Clownfish are such "ideal" tank residents and why Blue Tangs are...not.  Make sure you click through to the original article if interested....mostly just my comments or quotes and the link to the Article on my blog page.  👍

16 hours ago, chasingcorals17 said:

I think they do pretty well in reefs, assuming you can tolerate their ability to move things around – you may get lucky and have one that doesn't, but that's not something you want to be surprised by!  🙂 

It's also worth pointing out that Live Aquaria also don't recommend them for tanks under 125 Gallons.

7 hours ago, mcarroll said:

1 tomini tang 

Nice reef fish.  Not sure I'd put him in a 75 Gallon that's already going to be stacked with fish - why fill up ALL the hiding spaces??  🙂 

This would be the best swapout for your Foxface if you wanted a fish that's MORE compatible with your 75 Gallon tank size than the Foxface or other big fish on the list.  (Even LiveAquaria agrees!)

If you have any budget for it (or enough gear to trade for it) I would seriously consider doing what it takes to fit a 125 Gallon into your space OR consider the slightly more expensive upgrade to a 120 Gallon, which might fit your 4' space a little better.  I say this because it seems like you REALLY want these bigger fish.  You should REALLY have a bigger tank if that's really true!  🙂 

• Like 1