Coral Vue Hydros

Need help with Loc-line or other fittings for Return pump of AID DIY

Jakesaw

I' want to expand from HOB filter or no filter to - AIO and later take that knowledge to a sump setup. 

Right now, I've got an inexpensive pump with 1/2" and 1/4" fittings.  and empty 10 gallon tank.   I want to put a false wall to hold pump / heater / filter etc.  Kindof like the Fiji cube drop ins.  I've been reading online and watching videos and not quite sure how I get a line plumbed from pump to loc line.  This tank will mostly be tinkerng for some coral frags while fish move to larger tank 20L or bigger.

I see some screw threads on the Loc line randomly in a video and a female threaded elbow on  other side.   Can't find anything as to where I get those parts - or if there is a better / simpler / cheaper alternative.  

63315_I.jpg

El cheapo 158 GPY harbor freight pump.  Has adjustable flow and 2 cheap fittings to pump 1/4" and 1/2"

Thanks

look at this to get ideas on what pieces you need: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pumps-plumbing/plumbing.html

The simplest connection would be:

pump > vinyl hose > 90-elbow (barb on one end, female thread on the other) > loc-line base with male thread > loc-line nozzle (rfg or flat, whatever floats your boat)

You could use the common names of each piece to see if you can get them cheaper at local HD or other hardware stores.  I feel like loc-line parts are gonna need to be ordered from aquarium-specific sources/websites, idk, so might just be worth ordering them all from one place

• Thanks 1

There is the FijiCube insert,or you can do the DIY method. 

1/8" black acrylic sheet,black silicone,super glue,1x ¾" bulkhead(thread x slip),1x ¾" screw-in bulkhead strainer,1 ½" bulkhead (thread x slip),1x ½" locline npt fitting,1x ½ slip x barb 90,6 segment locline,1x ½" VCA RFG.

I make my own AIO sections. May not be professional looking but saves you half the money as a drop in solution ans you can turn any tank into a AIO for like $30-$45 depending on tank size. I will link all the items when I go to lunch. 

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulkhead-abs-thread-x-slip-flange-head-side.html

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/90-elbow-barb-x-spigot-street.html

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/low-profile-bulkhead-overflow-strainers.html

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/loc-line-male-npt-connector.html

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/random-flow-generators-for-loc-line-vivid-creative-aquatics.html (on this one I really suggest getting a ½"x¼" locline reducing y and using 2 ¼" RFG's,its worth it. Thats what I do and gives your more flexibility in flow patterns.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

pump > vinyl hose > 90-elbow (barb on one end, female thread on the other) > loc-line base with male thread > loc-line nozzle (rfg or flat, whatever floats your boat)

That is the setup I'm looking for ideally.  You think I can get those parts at Home Depot in plumbing section. ( minus the loc-line ).  If so, that answers my most immediate question. 

As for the loc-line what size should I be looking for ( think it comes in 1/2 and 3/4" sizes ) the 1/2" fitting.  The fitting on my pump are 1/2" and `1/4" just a pressure fitting in the pump with no barbs so I have to figure how to attach hose to the pump as well.  RFG vs flat - I have no opinion as I've not used either option.

1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

There is the FijiCube insert,or you can do the DIY method. 

I make my own AIO sections. May not be professional looking but saves you half the money as a drop in solution ans you can turn any tank into a AIO for like $30-$45 depending on tank size. I will link all the items when I go to lunch. 

The DIY AIO is the path I'm on for this project to learn tank hardware options and satisfy an aquarium need at the moment.  First tank will be a re-purposed 10 gal to learn - so I think 3/4" bulk would be too much for my 156 gallon flow pump.

Your setup seems to satisfy my needs and what I was looking to do - but I'll wait til you can link parts before I ask any questions about them.

10-15 years ago there was a lot more DIY info available on the subject before all the AIO drop ins became available.  I see the FIJI seems to have a sock and 2 chambers. 

I feel like the old online DIY plans online had bubble traps and 3 chambers. getting a pump in there would be kindof hard I'd guess - maybe they were running maxi jets back in the days.  How are you setting up the back chamber area for filtration / media / etc.  

My first AIO is gonna be a 10 gallon, but I have a 20 L - I'm tinkering with as well.   

Much appreciated.  

You can use ¾" or ½",½" very well be enough for setup. You can always go bigger on the return pump,whichever works for you and your plans. Always better to go bigger and throttle it back. 

I don't run 3 baffles,I probably should but don't. Return pumps have gotten small these days,especially the DC pumps. 

16650071368525550145404292112725.jpg

16650071614818464150728471965418.jpg

3/4" Bulkhead / Strainer -

9 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

You can use ¾" or ½",½" very well be enough for setup. You can always go bigger on the return pump,whichever works for you and your plans. Always better to go bigger and throttle it back. 

I don't run 3 baffles,I probably should but don't. Return pumps have gotten small these days,especially the DC pumps. 

16650071368525550145404292112725.jpg

16650071614818464150728471965418.jpg

That looks like a 5.5 gallon... ?

The 3/4" bulkhead / strainer is water exchange between 2 back chambers?

Also - could you add some detail to your intake chamber.  Are you running a short filter sock / or poly fill in that upper chamber for some kindof mechanical filtration?  Is it a removable insert made of egg crate material?   My main interest in overflow intake was for mechanical filtration to keep my water flow clean of muck.

I've been wrestling with crud on my Koralia powerhead and tank display since I first started tank.  Dino / Bubble Algae / caked stuff I scrape off walls - you name it.  I clean powehead - it's dirty the second I put it back in tank as the water is sucked into propeller.

pic is very helpful - thank you.

Its a Aquamaxx 9g 24"x10"x10".

No the water overflows into the AIO section,thru a AquaClear 70 sponge I cut to fit in the top rack of my media rack (made of black egg crate zip tied together),over a AquaClear 70 bag of carbon,then to my Sicce .5 back into the display. 

I use the AC50/70 sponge and carbon well because both are cheap. The sponges come in a box of 3,and I get probably 4-5 uses out of each piece of sponge. The carbon comes in mesh bags and just needs to be rinsed and placed in the tank. 

1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

No the water overflows into the AIO section,thru a AquaClear 70 sponge I cut to fit in the top rack of my media rack (made of black egg crate zip tied together),over a AquaClear 70 bag of carbon,then to my Sicce .5 back into the display. 

I use the AC50/70 sponge and carbon well because both are cheap. 

If you're looking for inexpensive sponge - you may want to look at Aquaneat sponge media.  You can pick sponge color based on needs

Black = fine

Green = medium 

Blue = coarse. 

Pertty good sized sheet that you can cut to size - you could probably save money there. as you swap out after 5 uses.  

I've used the green sponge in HOB filter sponge and generally liked the quality / value for size.  I placed my green foam next to AC 70 foam pad I have and the consistency is about the same.  Maybe the fine black would be better - Either would probably work just a matter of which got clogged up faster. 

I'm actually pretty happy with the AC stuff. I think I pay $9 and I can get probably 8 month to a year with a whole box. Probably the cheapest thing in the hobby besides distilled water lol. 

14 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

The DIY AIO is the path I'm on for this project

Well since you said that, this may or may not fit all that well to your ideas.....but for the task at hand I'd at least suggest taking a look.  Even if it's just for ideas to use on your DIY.

https://www.tunze.com/US/en/details/0100.000-comlineR-reefpack-100.html

image.thumb.png.3bcede429c7261a97318a1e8c54295fb.png

For the money (~$200), this seems like a better answer than a false-wall type of setup that everyone and their brother clones.  (Clone designs are one-size fits all by nature.....which to me is antithetical to the DIY aspect you're talking about.  Right?  The typical under-tank sump design is cookie-cutter and also falls into this category.  I've never built a sump like that. 👎)

Obviously false-wall works in some ways, but comparatively it consumes a silly amount of tank space and creates lots of operational difficulties.   Relatively, the Reefpack solution (in-tank filter and skimmer) takes up a smaller footprint and gives you infinitely more flexibility in placement).

(The next bigger Reefpack is even nicer since you can also hide the heater inside the filter module....maybe the ATO too.  Prolly too big for a price tag for a 10 Gallon tho.)

Just some thoughts!!  I can't wait to see whatever you put together!

7 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Just some thoughts!!  I can't wait to see whatever you put together!

Appreciate that.

My current next " display tank " in works that needs Sump setup is

IMG_20221006_091024.thumb.jpg.43501df991d313bce5b9069a6143e6ba.jpg

SW as with any hobby - the end is not the final goal.  What's learned along the winding path is sometimes is more valuable ( sometimes :lol:)

• Like 2
On 10/5/2022 at 9:26 AM, Reefkid88 said:

on this one I really suggest getting a ½"x¼" locline reducing y and using 2 ¼" RFG's,its worth it. Thats what I do and gives your more flexibility in flow patterns.)

Have you tried to find these 1/2 to 1/4" Y with random flow generator parts today.  I can find parts to assemble that at various sellers on ebay for like 50 bucks.  Nobody carries all the parts in one place to combine shipping.   Nothing in the 1/4" size seems available at BRS. 

I don't know if it's supply chain or always been this way, but the loc-line aquarium stuff seems harder to find than it should.  

Would 1 x standard 1/2" RFG not work?  This is all new to me here.

I got a ½"x¼" pvc bushing from HomeDepot,it was like $1 and some change. I ordered my RFG,NPT adapter,locline sections and RFG's straight from VCA a few months ago. 

BRS has all the bulkheads,barbed fittings and VCA has the RFG's,¼" locline and the ¼" npt locline adapter. As far as I know,BRS doesn't carry anything under ½". I believe SaltwaterAquarium.com does though,but I don't think their plumbing section is as exspanive as BRS's is. 

Locline:

https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/loc-line-1-4in-modular-tube-6-knuckle-segment/

Locline NPT adapter:

https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/loc-line-npt-connector-1-4in-modular-hose-adapter/

They also make a ½" x ¼" locline Y:

https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/loc-line-y-reducer-1-2in-to-1-4in-adapter/

¼" RFG:

https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/1-4in-random-flow-generator-rfg025/

• Thanks 1