Cultivated Reef

Smaller established Occ clownfish more aggressive to the new but slightly bigger clownfish

gsechen

OK so here's the deal, I got small like 1inch snowflake clownfish from petco.  It was by itself, not sure how long and so I brought it home and had it for about a month.  I finally find a black ice occ. clown about an inch and a quarter and add it into the tank.  The new guy was also from petco by itself but just came from ORA to the store. The thing is the smaller clownfish (not by much but still since it grew a bit) is more aggressive and the larger clown submits to it by doing the twitch.  Is it possible that the my first smaller clown is a female since its way more dominant then the new clown which is bigger in size?  I just hope the new clown isn't a female too, so far it doesn't fight back at all and thankfully they are calm most of the time except when its feeding time then the first clown gets aggressive towards it.  thanks

Luckily the larger clown is submitting.  Part of it is territorial.

I always suggest getting a notably smaller juvenile of the same species as a mate to an established clownfish.  But hopefully, it will work out for you.  So far, so good.

• Like 1

It's possible, though I would be surprised if a 1 inch clown had already changed to female after just a month alone. You should be fine, just keep an eye on them for any serious aggression.

• Like 1