ReefCleaners.org

clown goby missing

burnah

my clown goby is missing, i got it yesterday and acclimated it long enough. it was well until nighttime, not shy or something, and this morning it had disappeared... i have a false perc in my tank which is only a little bit bigger, about 2.5 cm... tank is a 3 and something gallons...

i would like to know if it is possible that the goby is just hiding (very good hiding) or if even a mantis could have taken it? and if so could my clown also be in danger? he's just 0.5 cm bigger...

what else could be the reason for it to disappear? jumping out is impossible, i have a glass top...

thanks in advance

well if you have a mantis, your not gonna have anything left.

check you back compartments if you have any, i just recently bought a yellow clown goby and i couldnt find him the next day, well he swam to the back compartment of my nano cube]

good luck

thanks but i have no backcompartment :(

the only thing where he can be is hiding in the LR, but that has to be a good hiding because the tank is 3gallons...

He might be in a nook or cranny of your live rock, or if it's anything like my old clown goby, the little guy might've gotten sucked into the filter intake tube :(

If he's dead, a tank that small will likely show a HUGE increase in amm REALLY QUICKLY. I'd do a test to check water params. You'll know soon enough if he's a goner!

As for the question fo whether you have a mantis or not, it's doubtful, but possible that a small mantis is hiding in your tank. It's even more doubtful that he would eat a fish. Most mantis' prefer invertebrates to fish any day. If your gobie passed away on his own, a mantis may find him a tasty meal, but that's different from being killed by the mantis. The best course of action to confirm if you have one is to try a red light at night, and possibly baiting him out into the open.

Also, not to flame, but why do you have 2 fish in such a small tank? Surely that's a bit much for so small a tank. Even freshwater, the fish would likely get too large to comfortably be housed in such a small environment. I'd say take the clown back and try the gobie after your water params have settled (assuming the original gobie is dead)

That'll be $0.02 please

they hide all the time, i took all of my lr out one time trying to find my fish one time a while back, i put the lr in a bucket and looked in the tank no fish, I looked in the bottom of the bucket and there they both were, so if thye go missing now i don't even worry they just do that sometimes

Archived