Cultivated Reef

Nano Tank Setup HELP!

dmward1457

Hey all! I have had a successful 16G marine Biocube for several years and have decided to take a small step to a standard 20G tank. I currently have a couple green Duncans, a couple frags of zoanthids, 2 clownfish, some red mushrooms, and a few assorted inverts. Want to stay with similar varieties with upsize. Question is about the set up. I have read tons of information and can not decide what would work best. I have already purchased a light so really wanting to ask about water movement and filtration - pumps, powerheads, reactors, skimmers. I want to try and keep the reactor and pump out of the tank since it is relatively small. I have a Koralia powerhead in the Biocube now which does a good job. I have been looking at the Phosban 150 reactor but do not know what type of pump to use with it (non-submersible if possible). I don't think that I will need both the reactor and the skimmer?

So, recommendations are definitely welcome! I do not need over the top products but am willing to spend what is needed to create a nice nano. So... what reactor and what type of media, powerheads, size & how many, pump and volume it moves? Thanks for any help you can give me!

I would hold off on a reactor until you know that you have a nutrient issue which you have to address.  Ideally, phosphate should be about 0.05ppm and nitrate around 5ppm.  A little higher is actually better than lower.

You could look into a HOB skimmer; but you could easily get by without one.  A HOB power filter running activated carbon is probably adequate.

For flow on a budget, you might look at the Jebao SOW-4.

• Agree 1

Thanks for the help. I have a Aquaclear 70 HOB on one of my smaller (30G) tropical tanks that does a nice job. I assume that would work here unless  you suggest another for marine?