Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Can I do a blue tang

paul wheeles

I am looking at starting out with a 37 gallon is there any way possable I can do a small blue tang if so how long would it be before I have to up grade to a bigger tank.

matt the fiddler

the following reasons are why i would not... search if you have more q's "blue tang"

1- tangs grow really fast, and eat a lot/ have a high bio load

2- the small blues are really finiky eaters...thus hard to get eating..

3- no matter how you look at it, it still needs to swim.. this is more an issue of legenth of a tank.... i think even a baby blue in anyhtign less than 4-6 feet is cruel. the "saying" is baby blues need 8- gallons, adults 140....

4- tanga are ich prone, if they arn't happy or getting the excercize they need. the can take out your whole tank with ich. [yuck]

i would say you would be looking at more of a risk..... if you got to a 55 gallon, you could keep a yellow tang wiht a LOT of care.., but that is about it in terms of tanks in small tanks..

sorry // i know they are really beautiful fish!

You could keep the small blue tank in there for the beginning. But expect after about a year the blue tang will almost double in size because blue tangs have a large growth spurt when the are younger and slow down after that. So you would have to consider giving up the blue tang after about a year to a year half.

Archived