inTank Media Baskets

? on propagating GSP

sadie

My GSP has grown over the whole surface of my tonga branch and is now growing off it.  There are just about 3 pieces I could cut off and glue on another base.

I have 2 ?s-

1. How big does it have to be before cutting it off?  Right now I think 2 of them are about 1" in length and maybe 3/8" wide.

2.  Can I glue them on the same shell or should I put them each on their own piece?  I was thinking a nice full piece (all 3 on one shell) would look nicer to trade then 3 small pieces. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

thanks

If you're willing to keep them a little longer after propagation, put them on three different pieces and let them grow in.  Then you have three pieces to trade 🙂

In my experience, even one polyp of GSP can be enough to propagate from, but the sizes you mention will be far easier to handle and attach to something.  Good luck!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

GSP is easiest coral to propagate.  Just cut and paste on a plug or surface.  I used a razor blade.  No need to overthink it.

I trim mine when it grows over sandbed to keep it from spreading over tank. 

• Thanks 1